Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
Mathman

Tub tile surround: 2nd bathroom project.

I need to buy a tile saw. I will be doing a bathroom tub surround with some variation of a subway till in a size 3 by 6 up to 4 by 12. I will also be doing a hallway and bathroom floor with some thing probably less than 18 inches.

I don't really want to spend too much but I want a functional cutter.
Would something like this be sufficient?
SKIL 3550-02 7-Inch Wet Tile Saw with HydroLock Water Containment System.
https://www.amazon.com/3550-02-7-Inc...6&sr=8-31&th=1

Anyone have recommendations. Preferably less than $300.

Thanks
Kirk

Last edited by Mathman; 06-18-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Mathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I think if you can afford it the Harbor Freight Chicago tile saw is the best budget saw. They have a coupon you can use and it brings the price down.

Those table saw style ones will work if that's all you can afford but I think they are pretty messy and you may have to cut upside down with them. But I don't have a lot of experience with them.

If you could tag people over here, I would tag Laz because he has some experience with the HF saw.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
HoosierSteve

I bought a cheap Grizzly for $249 shipped to my home. Model T28360. It was far superior for straight cuts to the table saw style one that I already had, but a bit more challenging for inside corner cuts. The big thing for me was it ran "clean" enough to use inside saving lots of steps. I setup a pvc frame with a $1 shower curtain around it, and it makes virtually no dirt or wet out the front where you're standing.
Unread 06-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yes, might want to check out the Diamondback 7" saw. I have an earlier version in 10" that has served me well, but this is a better value. Check out the video and get a better blade than the one that comes with it.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-h...ble-64683.html
Unread 06-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

You could also buy a good saw and sell it on Craigslist when you are done with your projects.
Unread 06-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Mathman

Thanks. I bought the diamond Back 7 in. Had to send the son up to get it as I was dealing with a pet injury. He was successful. Plan to set it up soon and see what I've got. It looks similar to the one I had borrowed for earlier projects but I didn't want to borrow anymore.

Renamed thread and will continue the build thread here.
Unread 06-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'd suggest you pick a more generic title and just continue with this as your project thread, Kirk.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
Mathman

Am glad to see the builder was taking careful measurements putting in the original cheap tub surround.
Attached Images

Unread 06-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
Mathman

Dang... You are fast!
Unread 06-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

You can't change the thread title, Kirk, but we can. And have.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
Mathman

Okay, thanks, it let me seem to do it in advanced mode, but thanks for making it stick.
Unread 06-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
Mathman

So, I carefully removed the old surround tub enclosure and am down to the studs. There is some piecemeal stud work going on on the wall that is a block wall on the side of the house. Thinking that is going to give me trouble. The tub is 60 inches and while it is 60 inches at the bottom, it doesn't seem to be toward the top. They seemed to have shaved off part of the wood.
The enclosure I took out seemed to be smaller than normal for a house shower. We had to buy a sliding glass door for a motor home shower for it to fit.

If I need more space I wonder if I should work on the plumbing side?

Does the drain look okay?
Attached Images

Unread 06-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #13
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
From here the drain looks to me like a slip joint, commonly used for bathroom and kitchen sink drain assemblies. The drain pipe is inserted and the collar is turned, which tightens a plastic sealing ring under the collar against the inserted pipe. No idea if that's up to code but you're in Florida, so....

Yeah, looks like you're going to want to address those cobbled together studs. Only way to properly fix those would be to remove the drywall all the way to the ceiling. Take all the DW down, remove the foam insulation, then see what you've got.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2020, 06:28 AM   #14
Mathman

I am going to need about 7/8's of an inch extra space for the tub. This wall in the pictures is what I have to work with to get that space. The other side is the block outside wall. Not going there.

Anyone with advice for the best plan? Throwing a few ideas, both good or bad out...

1. Should I try to remove the metal studs and reframe it.

2. Can I only enlarge the area where the tub is and still be able to keep the walls straight and plumb?

3. Any other ideas?
Attached Images

Unread 06-21-2020, 06:47 AM   #15
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I think you're going to need to strip everything off the walls in order to fully determine which wall(s) are not plumb.

One thing you might be able to do is re-frame the wet wall with 2X3' studs instead of 2X4's, thus gaining an inch. But that could depend on where supply lines come up out of the slab.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase