Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Alpo

Kerdi shower in new contruction (well kind of)

Hello,
I've been browsing the forum for awhile and have been trying to read up on how to install Kerdi in my new home construction. I think I'm finally there, but I wanted to create my own thread and ask for help and any advice along the way. I have never laid tile before and this will certainly be my first attempt at a shower. I plan to tackle the floor in the bathroom first and hopefully learn enough to proceed with the shower tile. I have read both Tile Your World and The Kerdi Shower Book. Any helpful hints so far?

After the required leak test done by my plumber, I decided to use the Kerdi system. Therefore, I will have to remove the current drain to replace it with the Kerdi drain. The bathroom is over a basement, so I do have fairly easy access below the drain, so I should be able to cut it out without too much trouble. I have already removed the old pan liner.

The finished shower will measure about 42" x 48", so I won't be able to use the complete shower kit. I designed the bath for a 48" x 48" shower, but there just wasn't enough room and my plumber placed the drain center at 22". I will have to do a mud floor. Also, I have reinforced some of the framing and screwed everything that I could with 3" drywall screws. There will also be a soaker tub set to the right side of the shower, so additional framing will be there to help with that 5' knee wall.

On to the questions. Does anything jump right out at you that I need to address before I begin? Second, what Schluter stuff do I need to purchase? This may sound like an odd question, but I want to get everything I need with one order for the Kerdi stuff. I know I'll need a drain, a certain amount of Kerdi sheet, and perhaps Kerdi band. I will install the Kerdi liner up to where I'll add the drywall or Durock. (I know Durock is not necessary, but I have a couple of peices already.) This area is about 80" high if I remember correctly. How much liner do I need to buy. I plan on doing two rectangular niches. I still have to frame them in. So, I need several inside and outside corners. Should I buy them precut or cut them from ???? Kerdi band?

Thanks for your help. I'm just a little excited (and a lot worried).

Alan
Attached Images

Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Propellerhead

Hey Al,

You and I are on similar paths. I'm in the process of gutting and reinstalling a bathroom that includes a 42x54 shower. I'm planning on using the Kerdi system as well.

If I were in your shoes I would consider buying the 48x48 Kerdi shower kit. Even though you plan to do a mud pan, the price of the materials in the kit is discounted significantly enough that it seems worthwhile to order the kit even if you decide to throw away the shower pan.

Regarding inside and outside corners, I think JB says in his book to not worry and make corners yourself. Personally I purchased some corners. I also learned that the Kerdi drain comes with four inside corners and two outside corners. I'm not sure if the shower kit comes with corners but you may want to factor that into your materials list before you order the Kerdi supplies.

Fast, cheap or reliable? Pick two.
Propellerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
Alpo

Thanks Steve! I'll look into ordering the entire kit instead of piece by piece.

Does anyone have any more advice?
Unread 04-17-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Alan,

If you order from Tile-Experts, they're pretty good about helping you determine exactly what you need. Talk to David Taylor and tell him you're a JB forum member.

I wouldn't build my first Kerdi shower without John's Kerdi e-book either.
Unread 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Alpo

Thanks Dan!

I was planning on ordering from them anyway. A name always helps.
Unread 04-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You need enough Kerdi to at least get above the showerhead, and you can go all the way up as high as you want to tile. If it was a steam shower, you'd want to tile the ceiling and put it there as well. In a regular shower, it's not required. Kerdi band does come with the kit. As to costs, compare the kit with the pieces you need...not sure which would end up better. The Kerdi band can be used to make corners, and I think it actually works better than the pre-made ones if the corners aren't perfectly square and plumb. You can get by without ANY Kerdiband, but the overlaps will end up being higher. Depends somewhat on the tile you are using whether the additional buildup is a problem or not.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Eagle35152

I recently found a Kerdi supplier in Madison, WI that has some pretty good pricing. I just so happen to be going there on business tomorrow and i will be driving right past their store. So I pre-ordered my materials and will pick it up on the way in saving the shipping costs. My shower is in the basement and because I could not get the drain centered without ripping up a bunch of concrete, I decided to just put in a mud floor, so I won't need a pan. The kit price is still quite a bit more then the individual components I need, so I opted not to get the kit.

Mike
Eagle35152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
TGF

madison supplier

Hi-Just wondering which supplier you use in Madison,
I go there sometimes, too, Would be good to know for
reference... I still don't know yet if I'll need kerdi myself.

Thanks, T
TGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
Alpo

I plan on using 12" tiles for the shower. If I run the Kerdi vertical, is it better not to overlap the membrane at the joints and use the Kerdi band instead?
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Alpo

I'm a little closer now. I thought I'd try and tackle all of the floors first so that I could learn as much as I can before trying to start the shower.

The bath is now framed except for the backer board for the tiles under the drop in tub and I'm just about ready to lay the floor. I have been reading all I can about concrete backer board and have a few questions.

I noticed that the Hardi company recommends 1/4" board for the floor. Do you guys feel the same? I know that I need to run the backer board so the seams don't break in the same place as the subfloor (3/4" Advantech), but I have also read that I don't want to hit the floor joists with the screws or nails for the backer board. Is this true? Nails are obviously quicker (and quicker is good), but are screws better? How long should the nails or screws be?

Thanks.
Unread 05-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Kerdi band is thinner, so the overlap is thinner. It isn't a big deal in most cases, but will make a difference in the corners. The band is a little easier in some ways, but I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. Using the band at corners is easier, since trying to keep a nice square corner on a big sheet can be a pain. Not bad once you have the hang of it, but definately easier with the band, especially for someone who's not done it before. As long as there's a 2" overlap, it will be waterproof, so don't fret getting the cut super precise.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 05-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
Alpo

Thanks Jim.

The tub is now framed.

I ran into a new deadline that's gonna put a damper in my tile project. I'm going to end up hiring the actual tiling out, but I'm going to CBU the floor and do the Kerdi part of the shower myself. I just don't have the time I want to take with the actual tiling. I think I would be better served spending my time doing the Kerdi.

One question. I will be buying my thin set and deck mud from either Lowes or Home Depot. What name brand should I buy for the unmodified thin set for the Kerdi and Deck mud for the shower slope? I guess that's two questions
Unread 05-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Not sure if HD still carries a decent unmodified thinset...some have said the only one they carry is the price leader that has the bare minimum of cement in it. Lowes carries Mapai, which has a decent unmodified. Or, if you can shop in a real tile store, you could look for DitraSet, which is a great unmodified.

The deck mud or sand mix the big box stores sell is a little rich, at 3:1 sand:cement. It's easier to work with one at 4-6:1, so you can either buy that and some sand and mix it up leaner, or again, go to a tile store and buy it preblended, or just buy pure portland cement and sand and mix your own from scratch.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase