Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-29-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
D Lee

Can I build a tub on a shower base?

We just bought the tiniest house for far too much money but we love it. One problem, no tub for three year old Billy.

Our bathroom is @ 5'x5' and has a rather dismal 36"x36" Neo angle shower that's going to be replaced one way or another. The layout of the bathroom is such that no commercial tub will fit (I did find one tapered tub in England made by Lucite called the Avocado but it isn't imported to this country) without a major remodel, which just isn't happening for a while. The current shower really is the maximum space available.

Is it possibe for me to build a tub (raising the sides 10"-14") on a new neo angle shower base and then muscle it into the current space? My wife and I could then shower with a curtain and Billy would have a shallow bath.

Here's what I was thinking. Build a wood frame on the neo angle base, cover it inside and out with 3/4" ply and lots of epoxy (I'm thinking boat building here) and then add a wood finish (ala boat) or tile down to the shower pan for aesthetics. Making the back walls concerns me a bit because of the lack of working surface. I don't want to enter the pan, just go down to it.

The idea is to build it and test it outside of the bathroom before installing it.

Is this crazy? And yeah, I know a three year old can take a shower.
D Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-30-2004, 05:32 AM   #2
bbcamp

You might make it work if you stopped with a fiberglass (gelcoat) finish. Tile requires much more rigidity than you will get by trying to marry a pre-existing fiberglass pan with new wood and fiberglass walls.

If you really want tile, you ned to redo the pan. You are trying to make a "Roman tub." Do a search, there are a few threads where folks have done them.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi D, Welcome.

I think you can build it with the Kerdi method.

http://www.schluter.com Go to products, then waterproofing.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 09:15 PM   #4
D Lee

Thank you both. I took a quick look at the Kerdi system John and I'm definately going to do much more reading on it. Are you suggesting I abandon the shower pan idea and build walls up around the Kerdi system pan?

thanks, Dennis
Unread 09-01-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

That's precisely what I'm suggesting, Dennis.

Mind you, I've not had the opportunity to do it yet, but I know it works. The one minor hitch we still have in the system is that we haven't developed a Kerdi-drain with a built-in stopper. There are ways of getting around that, though.

When I say "we," I mean Schluter Systems and some of us here on the forums. I know Jerry the Tile Guy in Seattle has figured out how to use a conventional overflow connected to a Kerdi-drain to accommodate the need. His username it JTG.

I'm going to make a formal announcement in the Hangout later, but I've just recieved word that both Schluter membranes, Kerdi and Ditra, have finally been listed in the Uniform Plumbing Code as approved shower membranes (which includes tiled tubs).
Unread 09-01-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
thriren

hey D

Hey D,

I'm trying to do the same thing right now, I'm interested in what procedure you end up going with and how everything turns out. Keep us posted!

oh, and i've done a bunch of searches, i've come up with very little, if you find something let me know okay?

p.s. where did you buy a house at? location?

koren
thriren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 10:28 PM   #7
D Lee

thanks again John, I'll keep you posted.

Koren, the world of small tubs is very small indeed. I'm not finding much either. I'm going to do some reading on the various Schluter systems and think about that. I don't really want to make a career out of this, there are too many other projects at the moment.

We just bought the house in South Salem, NY, which is in the North eastern corner of Westchester Co. (the first county north of NYC). Prices are just crazy here.

Believe me, I would love to find an antique corner tub that would fit here. If you see anything please let me know.

I like this Kerdi idea, but I was hoping for a simpler solution. Not being a plumber, I also like the idea of being able to test water-tightness outside of the bathroom. Know what I mean?

Dennis
Unread 09-02-2004, 04:36 AM   #8
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Check with a few RV centers.You wouldnt believe what they can order for small spaces
Unread 09-02-2004, 06:00 AM   #9
drew
Remodeler, North-Central Missouri

At the risk of duplicating Todd, you might also check with a place that sells mobile home parts. Like the shops catering to RV's, the M/H shops can order alot of small oddball sized items, including tubs.

John, You mean I've been using a nonapproved membrane in showers for the past 2-3 yrs! So glad to hear I'm in compliance now! It's ok anyway, up here in the sticks, most these little county offices just give you a blank stare when you ask about appliciable code, .............now permits, they understand, gotta to pay the fee to build it, but we don't care how you build it!

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
Mark Twain
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 06:31 AM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Nah, as you know, Kerdi has been around a long time. The UPC listing will make it easier to convince local authorities they need to move into the future.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase