Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Guest Bath Overhaul

Well, it used to be the kids bath but as they have flown the coop it sounds more aspirational to call it the guest bath.

Behold the grandeur. Behold the exacting level of execution - as evidenced by careful leveling and alignment of the light switches and receptacle. Typical 1980 builder grade bathroom, approximately 7' X 8'2" in size, minus a sizeable chunk of linen closet, which creates the alcove for the tub. Aside from paint there had been zero upgrades to it over its 40 year life.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Daughter had a Ford Tempo the color of that wall tile. I called it the "Flesh Tempo". Even put a sticker on the dash, which was under appreciated, I imagine.

I say paint it orange...all of it. Don't remove or mask anything, just start painting. See, it's just like Homer's. "You can do it, we can help".

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
smifwal

My uncle has a bathroom just like that in his new to him house. The same style of tile but it is pink and white. We even took some of the tiles from the master bathroom to make a repair in this guest bath. We did a major renovation on this house before he moved in, including moving walls adding a hall bath 40 feet from the main stack, replaced all the plumbing, added a recirculating hot water line so you had hot water the moment you turned on a faucet and so on. We are talking blank check and I couldn't talk him in to updating this bathroom, but I bet he never even goes in the thing.

I bet there is a mud bed under that tile, are you going to mud it back? I got to sling mud in my uncle's master bath and the cabinet guy was super impressed that he didn't have to use a single shim
Unread 04-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

I gotta say it looks extraordinarily clean and functional, but for a room that's 40 years old and for a room that had been used by children - of any age.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I say paint it orange...all of it.
Original plan was to "paint" it using products sourced only from HD to keep the costs in check compared to the master bath. Everything. But that went out the window in fairly short order when I couldn't even find a decent quality vanity there.

Flesh Tempo. LOL

No mud bed, Shawn. 5/8" ply subfloor, nailed down only. 3/8" ply underlayment - barely nailed down, followed by mastic and the mosaic. The mosaic ran short at the toilet/vanity wall by an inch and instead of setting individual pieces they simply packed the 1" void with grout. Nice touch.

Yeah cx, it could have been worse, and the photos are very kind to it. Given how it was build there was surprisingly almost no water damage.
Attached Images

Unread 04-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
BIGPHIL

Dan,
You should put the terlit in them woods by the road then walk out one morning in your robe and newspaper in hand... neighbors will get a kick
Unread 04-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #7
ss3964spd

I was weighing that option carefully, Phil, but the neighbors across the street there had just moved in and I wasn't sure I wanted that particular view of me to be their first introduction.

Last edited by ss3964spd; 04-16-2021 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Unread 04-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
ss3964spd

As it is with so many home improvement projects one needs to spend an inordinate amount of time just correcting issues before you can start putting it all back together.

The vanity drain was always slow, and I found out why. Some of the copper in the vanity wall was proud of the studs. Fire blocking? Who needs it! HVAC duct too close to the floor, thus requiring baseboard (wood or tile) to be notched to fit. Seemed an easy fix to raise it until I found that an apparently odd ball 3.25"X8" duct was used and was no where to be found. Had to have one custom made. And of course the framing that makes up one end of the alcove and linen closet was not even close to square or plumb. The small piece of drywall for the linen closet ceiling was secured with only a single nail and the walls, which I didn't discover until I started shoveling the insulation off of it - I barely even touched it before it fell.
Attached Images

Unread 04-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

But, then, you knew that, right?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #10
ss3964spd

I feel like it's exactly the same as child birth. One forgets how painful it is between projects.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase