Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
SpaceCadet

plywood over planks for vinyl

Technically not a tile question. I'm putting down 5/8 AC exterior grade plywood over 12x1 planks in a 2nd floor bathroom and the floor is going to get vinyl sheet. Too messed up and bouncy for tile. The planks are splitting and cut along the joists where someone needed to get at the plumbing.

Not as important here because it's just vinyl but what's the right way to attach the 5/8 plywood? Looked up some old posts: screw to the old planks, disagreement on glue so I'm leaving it out, and I saw something about screws long enough to protrude 1/4" out the bottom but that seems extra for this. 1-1/2 GRK R4 screws, 6" grid schedule, avoid the joists, predrill everything to avoid splitting the planks. Going to lay the plywood lengthwise along the joists to cover everything with 1 sheet, seems better than having a joint. Skim with planipatch or similar. Sound about right?

The planks are uneven. Do I shim the plywood with folded rosin paper or drywall shims to fill the voids?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase