Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #16
kennyrboggs

I got all of my supplies from flexfire LED's online. They appear to be really good quality, decent price, and definitely a step up from the amazon stuff I was initially looking at. I got an 8 foot strip that was just enough for the 2 niche's and below the vanity, a lower wattage 24v controller, since I was only powering 1 short strip, and lutron dimmer, all from flexfire so I would be sure the dimmer worked perfectly with the controller. Ran wiring while had the drywall off and did the plumbing. Just had to watch a few videos on soldering led strips. There was an attachment on each end with wiring and connectors, but I did have to cut and solder one strip. The Schluter Deco SG strip is PERFECT to hide the led strips. Even if you bend over and look for them you cannot really see them until they are on. The only tip I will give you is if you have a stud or something by your niche, give yourself a big hole or some space to be able to shove the wires back in. That way you have plenty left to upgrade or swap out led's in the future. Then just siliconed the one penetration on that end where the wiring came in. I think the parts were maybe $130 and everyone that has seen it loves it. If your feeling risky, could probably spend $50 on cheap stuff on amazon and do it. But looks great, functional, and the dimmer is a really cool effect.
Unread 03-03-2021, 11:01 PM   #17
BIGPHIL

Never heard of the FlexFire products. Just checked them out and it appears to be quality stuff. I finished up my guest bath a few months ago and did something similar but used RGBGenie products. Their 24v all-in-one controller/driver(power supply) and then their wall mount touch panel switch. All Z-wave so hooked right into SmartThings but also has direct association so the wall switch talks directly to the controller...pretty neat. The LED strips I used were the 5050 4 in 1 from BTF-lighting. I agree, soldering the LED wires was not fun. I too used a deco-sg 12.5mm profile for the strip...fit beautifully! The strip I used was IP67 so I had to seal the cut ends with some rtv silicone adhesive sealant. Anyways...love how your project came out and your attention to detail.
Unread 03-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #18
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'll end up starting my own thread, but I'm also looking into doing some LED strip lighting and may end up leaning on you guys to school me. Soooo many considerations!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase