Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Robbie, also keep in mind the size of your water heater - unless you have an on-demand tank-less heater. If your heater has, say, a 50 gallon capacity two 2.5 GPM heads will exhaust the supply in short order.

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel and was researching valves. A fellow member here recently finished his remodel and used a Grohe "Grohetherm" valve and I decided on the same. Depending on the model it has provisions for 2 or 3 outlets and water volume adjustment for each, in a single unit. A little expensive but, being one unit, far easier to install than two separate valves. Also non-electronic. https://www.grohe.us/bathroom/smartcontrol

Seems like just the ticket for you.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #17
Ande8414

Thank you so much, Jim, CX, and Dan!

I love your thoughts and ideas, Jim. Definitely funny that they market the shower heads that way. I'm definitely going to see what current capacity is, and really like the great analogy.

Dan that is super cool! Thank you! We'll definitely consider! Thank you!
Unread 02-05-2021, 10:20 PM   #18
Ande8414

Hi All!

Minor updates - timed some flow rates and then bought some parts! Guest bathroom flowed about 1.7 GPM from the shower head and 4.1 from the tub spout. Slower than I hoped but oh well. Dan I went with your recommendation! We got this two head controller. Super excited about it. https://decorativeplumbingonline.com...hoCetQQAvD_BwE

Also got two low flow shower heads to go with it! Figure we'll run only one probably 90% of the time. Hopefully will be fine.

I also have another new uncertainty I'd be grateful for your thoughts on. I want to put the tub plumbing in a ledge wall, which is an addition to a cold wall. Essentially a 2x6 ledge wall infront of the 2x6 cold wall. Is it okay to run plumbing right next to a cold wall as long as it's in the warm space? And then what order of materials would be correct from the cold wall? Should I just drywall once after the second wall? Only one vapor barrier? I'm not sure whether to leave the vapor barrier, then drywall and redgaurd, or I have a bunch of goboard, and then tile it. Please and thanks!!
Attached Images

Unread 02-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

By "cold wall" do you mean an exterior wall, Robbie? If so, I'm not sure you're allowed to install water plumbing anywhere inside the house in Minnesooota, let alone near a wall. But yes, you should be able to insulate the extra "ledge wall," presuming I know what you mean, and just keep the plumbing on the inside of the insulation to the extent possible. And hope the furnace never fails when it's below zero on Memorial day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie
I'm not sure whether to leave the vapor barrier, then drywall and redgaurd, or I have a bunch of goboard, and then tile it.
I'm confused as to where you'd want a vapor barrier, drywall, and RedGard (I'm guessing) on the same wall. For what application would that be?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #20
Ande8414

Thanks so much, CX!

Sorry to be confusing. I should do a pencil sketch or a quick 3D model. I might build the ledge wall frame tomorrow and post new pictures. For now, in the picture shown is the exterior wall with pink insulation and partial vapor barrier. Should I finish that wall with drywall first to segregate the ledge wall? Or silly to drywall twice? I have a bunch of goboard so I was thinking maybe seam tape and finish the vapor barrier to the floor, then frame in the 2x6 ledge wall, add tub plumbing, goboard, and then tile it. Would that make sense? Thank you!
Unread 02-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

We're getting closer. I see that you've got an exterior wall there. Is that exterior wall to be the wall of a shower, perhaps?

Unread 02-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #22
Ande8414

Thanks for your patience! Here are two better pictures. Shower in the left corner. Tub in the right corner. Tub is currently 6.5" from the existing wall to make room for new 2x6 ledge wall plus goboard (or drywall) plus tile. Thank you!
Attached Images

Unread 02-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

Even up there above the Arctic Circle where you live, Robbie, where you're required to have a vapor retarder on the interior side of your exterior walls, I favor having only one such. That being the case, where you'll have a direct bonded waterproofing membrane on the interior wall for your shower, I'd eliminate the vapor barrier material you currently have on that wall. But that's a discussion to have between you and your code compliance inspector.

I would build the added wall directly adjacent to the existing wall with the insulation, but without the polyethylene sheet, then insulate the new wall with the plumbing in it, then install your foam board or drywall with the Kerdi membrane.

Unread 02-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #24
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I wouldn't have any problem installing water supply lines within that 1/2 height wall, Robbie, wouldn't even insulate it. That wall will be within the building envelope, just like any other interior wall.

But I would cover the exterior wall with panels, and given that plastic moisture barrier over the existing insulation I'd probably opt for those panels to be plain old drywall, as I'd be concerned GB might trap moisture between it and the plastic.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #25
Ande8414

Thank you both so much! I like the idea of maybe steering clear of the goboard all together for fear of trapping moisture. Let me see if I have this right:

Shower- I'll tear off the existing vapor barrier, do regular drywall and then kerdi membrane.

Ledge wall- I'll finish the existing vapor barrier down to the floor, then build ledge wall frame, and finish it with regular drywall. So no second layer of drywall, and no additional layer of water proofing like red guard or kerdi which might trap moisture between it and the plastic barrier? Just tile right on the drywall?

Thanks so much!!
Unread 02-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #26
Ande8414

Hi again! I just thought of another dilemma that I'm almost certainly overthinking - say I don't bring the shower width even with a stud, and thus stop the kerdi membrane before I get to my vapor barrier with plain drywall. What would be best in that uncertain transition point? Bad sketch attached with this idea in mind. Please and thanks for your thoughts!
Attached Images

Unread 02-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #27
Ande8414

I have a new idea on my transition. What if I pull out the insulation, add a stud wherever we decide we want the shower to stop and regular painted wall to begin, then I'll re-insulate and vapor barrier up to the stud from the right, and no vapor barrier on the left. Would that be a good solution? Thanks!
Unread 02-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #28
cx
Moderator emeritus

Robbie, a little overthinking never hurts, but keep in mind what you're trying to achieve. Because you live above the Arctic Circle, good building science requires you to have a vapor barrier membrane on the inside of your exterior stud walls, but you don't want large areas to have that plus a similar material on the other side of your interior wallboard. Having your shower waterproofing overlapping your vapor barrier by six inches or a foot is not gonna alter the concept, but will still ensure that your wall package complies with your local code.

If your code compliance inspector wants you should have the vapor barrier material over the studs and have a moisture barrier or waterproofing on the inside of your shower wall, just nod and say, "Yessir, Boss" until he leaves, then remove or defeat the vapor barrier and install your wallboard before he returns. I cannot, of course, recommend that on a public forum, but here where nobody will see it 'cept thee and me, I have no problem with it.

Last edited by cx; 02-15-2021 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
Unread 02-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #29
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Robbie, I like to have lumber blocking or studs anywhere shower enclosure will intersect wall. For sure where door hinges.

In a case like yours, I'd probably put a flat 2x4 or2x6 next to the nearby stud. Toe screw top and bottom and three or four along edge butting into stud. Predrill pilot holes in all so they suck up tight.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #30
Ande8414

Thank you both so much! Decided on a compromise and going to transition right here on an existing stud after all. Thanks for your reassurance! Means so much peace of mind I can't tell you.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ande8414; 02-15-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Ande8414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase