Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #16
wwhitney

I just measured the trap on my vanity--it's a 1-1/4" chrome p-trap, and left to right the sink tail piece is basically liked up with the trap adapter sticking straight out of the wall. The centerline of the tailpiece is a little under 5" from the face of the compression nut on the trap adapter. 4" wouldn't work, 4-1/2" might fit (not sure).

Not 100% clear on what you have, a picture labeled with distances from the wallboard would help if the above information is not sufficient.

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 11-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #17
SpaceCadet

There's no wallboard yet, Wayne. It's pretty much in the same state as what's in the picture in post 13 of this thread. The sink is 24"x14" with the drain hole 6-1/2" from the back. If they're piping to it with PVC, they'll have to go off to the side first then p-trap back over.
Unread 11-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #18
wwhitney

So what's the exact left-right offset between the san-tee center line and the sink tailpiece center line? You've got basically three options without any additional elbows:

1) Remove the rubber coupling and solder on a trap adapter. Could be a female trap adapter (hopefully there's a pipe segment with enough projection), or a male trap adapter if you desolder the pipe segment from the san-tee (assuming that would project into the cabinet sufficiently).

2) Keep the rubber coupling, but replace the PVC pipe with a male PVC trap adapter (spigot end). The spigot end may only be 5/8", while the rubber coupling probably wants 1", so you'd have to check it would seal OK, and you might put a 3/8" spacer offcut of pipe in there.

3) Keep the rubber coupling and a PVC pipe segment and glue on a female PVC trap adapter (hub end).

Given the 6-1/4", you'll have to take some measurements to be sure, but there's a good chance that option (3) wouldn't work if the sink tail piece centerline is within 2" of san-tee centerline. If it's over 2", you have the option to let the PVC pipe run out past the sink tailpiece and have the p-trap u-bend pointed away from the wall.

I guess there's also option (4), which is put a couple 45 degree bends in the sink tailpiece, but that seems less desirable. There are also options putting a bend on the horizontal trap arm, likewise a bit more trouble.

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 11-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #19
SpaceCadet

The left-right offset of the drain from the sanitary tee (actually it's just a regular tee but the inspector didn't seem to have a problem with it) is flexible because the walls and the floor aren't actually up yet but in a desirable layout it would be 1/2" to 1" offset.

Sounds like it's doable one way or another, that's mainly what I'm after. A plumber is doing this. I'm in MA and we're not allowed to touch the plumbing without a license. I just want to make sure I'm not building something that's going to be impossible to hook up later.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase