Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
groomerz

shawn's bath

thx for the great info on this site, I am doing my second bathroom with the info here. So far , plastic behind 1/2" durarock, flexbond thinset mortar, 12 x18 porcelein floor tile on walls and ceiling with 1/8 grout lines .

floors are going to be same tile with electric heat , canadian ditra , tile, 1/8 grout .

1. Can I grout ceiling and and most of walls (except bottom row) then grout bottom row when I grout the floor?

right now I have a plywood covering tub and floor is not done yet. Also bottom row is not installed either because of plywood. My thought is right now I have nice platform to work from instead of standing in tub.

I've have read about dry mixing the grout if not making the whole bag so color is even.

I will try to post pics. I have been having a hard time uploading from photobucket.

thx

Shawn

Palatine, Il
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Celtstone Surfaces

Acrylic instead of water will also help provide a more consistent color.

Measuring each mixture the same way should make it consistent.

Double check the lot/batch numbers in the grout as well.
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Shawn.

Please do not link to third party storage such as photobucket for your photos. Instead, download them to your computer and attach them using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box so they become a permanent part of your thread.

You are building a tub/shower with a plywood deck around a drop-in tub? Please tell us more about that.

You can grout the ceiling and walls before installing the bottom row of wall tiles. That's my personal preference when doing Kerdi System showers.

I would not recommend using any additive, acrylic or otherwise, in mixing your grout unless that is specifically called for by the grout manufacturer. I do favor using distilled water for mixing cementitious grouts to eliminate at least water contaminants as a grout problem.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Celtstone Surfaces

CX, I like your old school knowledge. I will use that the next time a customer does not want actrlic.

I should have mentioned the manufactures specs when using acrylic.
Thanks for the backup.
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
groomerz

Here are some pics
Attached Images

Unread 11-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
ShawnG
2 hands and half a loaf

caulk ?

I am going to be grouting with CBP Polyblend sanded delorean gray and getting their 100% silicone caulk. Was planning on caulking the tub /tile/ wall corners and ceiling/wall joints.

1. do you think 3 tubes is enough for approx 42 feet of joint?

Shawn
ShawnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Hank B.

Shawn, Silicone is great for the corners and changes in plan, but where the walls meets the tub is debatable. Your tub has a flange of some sort, that you overlapped (hopefully) with plastic. so the moisture that gets behind your tile his the plastic, moves down to the tub but then gets blocked by silicone if you use it at the tub. the only way it can escape is through the verticle grout joints, so it stays continually wet down there. Better to grout between the tub and walls, easing the way for moisture to escape and less problems with mold and such. The grout will eventually crack but by that time you be the diy hero that can fix it in no time.
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
ShawnG
2 hands and half a loaf

Hank it is funny you said that about the tub /wall. My friend Bob is a retired tile setter and i spoke to him today and he said the same thing about grouting the tub to wall . I do have plastic behind cbu overlapping the lip of the tub. He though also told me to grout my corners since I taped and mortared the cbu in corners and that my house is older and done with any major settling. Bob is old school and I don't think he is familiar with the newer products. His thought was grout it if it crack then you can remove it and silicone it. He suggested a product he used to use call poly seam seal I believe. I know this is a big topic here. thx again hank for your 2 cents

Shawn

Shawn
ShawnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Hank B.

Truth be told, most of the time I grout everything in the shower. But you didn't hear it from me.

Last edited by Hank B.; 11-02-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Hank B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase