Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
mjarema414

Questions regarding tile tub wall corners

Hi, I recently had by bathroom remodeled. THe contractor did a great job overall but he grouted the corners where walls meet and where the tile meets the tub. After 2 months it's starting to form hairline cracks. It's an older house built around 1920. After reading some posts, it's seems these corner walls and tub/tile base should have been caulked. I initially bought the siliconized caulk to match my Polyblend unsanded grout, scraped the corner walls out of grout and caulked. After further reading, I should have used 100% silicone. My next move was placing an order with Colorrite INC for the 100% silicone that matches my grout.

On to my Questions, the first caulk that I used didn't fill in the entire space of the corner walls. I cut the tip smaller as I didn't want a thick bead. Since it's fairly new (one week old), Can I go right over this with a bead of 100% silicone? Also, a soap dish and 2 shelves were installed and grout surrounds the space between tile and dish. There is still a small gap. Can I just go over the grout with the silicone since there is a gap and the color matches the grout?
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
mjarema414

Thanks Bob. THe grout around the soap dish/shelves is not cracking. As far as the caulk goes, I just caulked last week so it's relatively new. I understand it's not ideal to caulk over caulk but there is still a void/gap for the silicone to fill. I'm assuming I should just dig it out and start over.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase