Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
JoeC8023

Curb-less Wet Room

Hi everyone

Doing a master bath and need a little advice the bath is 16x8 there will be a freestanding tub at the far end along the 8 foot wall in from of the tub will be two showers on opposite walls. There will be a 8 foot infinity liner drain in front of the tub. The wet room dimensions are 7.5x8. Wet area will be curbless and also running hydronic radiant at least to the entrance of the wet room , up to the liner drain would be better if possible. Im not really to familiar with Schluter prouducts. I have done pans with a pre slope mud rubber and final mud in past with clamp on drain. But not sure if that’s the best approach in this situation. I plane on cutting up to one inch on the floor rafter closest to the drain.

Thanks
Unread 10-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Joe.

I'd need a lot more information about your floor structure to be of much help. Cutting down floor joists to accommodate showers is rarely a good idea unless additional framing or support is an option.

I think a single sloped mortar bed with a direct bonded waterproofing membrane system is nearly always the best option for what you have in mind, but you need the appropriate structure to support it.

And I don't think having a free-standing tub in the shower area is a good idea, but some folks seem to like it. I don't know if they still like it after having used the shower for a couple years and note the cleaning difficulties.

Tell us more about what you have to work with and some of our creative thinkers will be glad to help.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
JoeC8023

The bathroom is on the 2nd floor with 2x8 floor joist 16 oc. I will consult an structural engineer before any cutting is made. I like the idea of a single sloped mortar bed with a direct bonded waterproofing. Any issue with having the hydronic radiant under a sheet membrane? Would my options with this be either a Schluter membrane or hydro ban? infinity drains make 3 different flanges for direct membranes.
1. Fixed flange
2. Flange with Kerdi
3. Double water Proof with clamp down and flange
Thanks
Unread 10-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Again, I would not consider any receptor construction method other than a direct bonded sheet-type membrane in your application. That does not limit you to the two manufacturers you mentioned. You just need the drain to be compatible with the membrane you elect to use.

Without knowing the unsupported span of your joists, the size and spacing just doesn't tell us much.

Unread 10-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Hi Joe, a drawing would very much help.

First thing I would do is look into a system and try and find a shower system that has it's own drain. For a curbless system, Laticrete, Schluter, Wedi, and Noble all have good shower systems.
Unread 10-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
JoeC8023

Thanks i will look into those systems.
Attached Images

Unread 10-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #7
JoeC8023

Going to use a infinity drain that has a built in Kerdi flange for the showers. Dose any one know a way i can water proof the tub drain? I found a drop in drain that i thought i could screw to the deck mud then kerdi over that thoughts ?
https://osb.ca/products/downloads/OS...anada-0315.pdf

Last edited by JoeC8023; 10-15-2021 at 07:20 PM.
JoeC8023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
MTy

Are you talking about using infinity drain as in the brand? And their square or linear drain? I ask because I bought one of their square tile in drains and it will not work with kerdi or any type of surface membrane, poor design. Had to return it. I'd be wary of any drain from them but I don't have experience with their linear drains so could be fine. Personally I'd use whatever linear drain my chosen membrane manufacturer makes. Not a pro so don't know enough to help you on the tub drain thing.

I will say I considered a wetroom like that and cleaning behind the tub was one of my concerns. With the room you have I'd consider leave at least 12" if not 18" between the back wall and tub for cleaning behind. Also consider putting the drain centered on the shower maybe and not the whole wet area. To me it would not be fun stepping on it every time I got in and out of the tub.
Unread 10-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Joe, I've not done a tub like you have in mind, but if I had to do one I'd likely just get a bonding flange drain and install it where the tub drain pipe can be inserted into the bonding flange drain. Can't think of a simpler or cleaner way to handle that.

Unread 10-16-2021, 05:24 AM   #10
JoeC8023

Thanks CX that sounds like a good plan. Any plumbers have any insight on wether or not the tub would drain properly with a set up like that. As there could be an air space where the 1 1/2 tail piece enters the 2 inch drain.
Unread 10-16-2021, 06:01 AM   #11
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Cx’s suggestion is how it’s normally executed. It will drain fine.
Unread 07-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #12
JoeC8023

Thought I give a update on my progress and see if anyone had any tips on laying down the deck mud. I’ll have a single plane pitch 4 feet out from linear to the curbless entry. My plywood is already pitched 3/16th a foot to the entrance and I’ll be using 32x32 porcelain. Looks like I’ll be ranging 1.5 to 2.5 inches thick.
Attached Images

Unread 07-29-2022, 08:14 PM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Joe, if you care about ceramic tile industry standards at all, the requirement for mortar over your hydronic tubing is that you fill to the top of the tubing, screed that flat with the top of the tubing, add a cleavage membrane, then add a reinforced mortar bed of a minimum 1 1/4" thickness with welded wire mesh in the vertical center.

A crack isolation membrane on top of the mortar bed is optional, but you'll hafta have a waterproofing membrane anyway.

Unread 07-30-2022, 12:42 PM   #14
SSTS2006

It looks really nice. What did the engineer say?

I've run into issues of heavy tubs, with water, with people in them equalling A LOT of weight and having to reinforce the joists.
Unread 07-31-2022, 02:16 PM   #15
JoeC8023

I had to sister up both joist under the tub i was able to slide them in from underneath. Don’t really have the room for doing 2 layers of mud so just going to do one with my thinnest part being 1.5 inches. Finished on tub side of the drain today. Can i do the other side in sections or does it need to be done all in one day ?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase