Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
jutsin

Mixing Ditra Heat & Strata Heat components

Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster- fantastic forum!

I've done a decent amount of tile work and am in the process of demoing our master bath now. I was planning on using Laticrete's Strata Heat system for the floor and came across an issue. Strata Heat mat guidelines say that the minimum tile size is 3.5" x 3.5". Naturally, we want to install either 2" or 3" hexagon marble tile. Ditra Heat allows for a 2" x 2" tile to be used though, so I was considering using Ditra Heat mat with all other components (wire, thermostat, etc) being Strata Heat. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if the Ditra Heat and Strata Heat wires are the same (or very close) in size? Their product information sheets do not list wire gauges or physical size measurements.

Thank you!
Unread 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Lou_MA

Why not just switch over to ditra heat entirely?
Unread 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
jutsin

Hey Lou!

I can get better pricing on the Laticrete pieces and like the strata heat thermostat. I'm using the hydroban board for the first time and was hoping to just go all laticrete on this bathroom. Can you use any thermostat you'd like with each brand of heating wire?
Unread 01-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
rmckee84

Give laticrete a call, they may allow smaller size tile if you prefill the mat with something like 254.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
jutsin

I did chat with their technical experts online, and he said that due to the design of the strata heat mat and the voids in thinset, he would not go smaller than 3.5". I asked if there was any workaround and he said no. I think I'll try to stop by a distributor this weekend to see if I can compare the two wires.
Unread 01-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The plastic towers do not provide much of any vertical strength, so in order to keep a tile from tipping from a point load if it's corner is over a plastic tower, the spacing and size of the towers becomes the determining factor on the minimum sized tile. There is a way to overcome this, but it may not be reasonable based on the materials available. The load on the tile when there are voids (the plastic towers) spreads out as a pyramid, so if your thinset layer is deep enough, it could prevent that point load from being entirely on a plastic tower. From a practical viewpoint, most thinsets cannot be applied thick enough and the cost involved and the effort to keep tiles all in plane with that thick layer just doesn't work out. It also means you lose a lot of the advantages the minimum buildup.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase