Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
K Leaky Shower

Leaky Shower!

I have a newly tiled steam shower that leaks into our garage after 1/2 hour of use. If there is a shorter shower and then another 15 min. shower taken an hour later, the water leaks as well. This is no ordinary leak, it is like a large container fills up for 1/2 an hour and then begins to overflow and water pours into the garage. There is not a drain issue, the steam pipes are dry too (accessible in our closet). My plumber thinks this is a condensation issue. However, based on his recommendation, we open the shower door, have the bathroom window open, and of course have the bathroom fan running but the leaking persists. The plumber took off the trim on the valve and the pipes were dry. Any ideas? Where is the water pooling up?
K Leaky Shower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Mike2

I can't imagine condensation being the cause, sufficient enough at least to leak through the floor and fill up a bucket below.

Have you tried plugging up the drain from inside the shower, then pouring 5 to 10 gallons of water on the floor to see what if anything happens?

What type of pan was installed, do you know?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Leaky. Please give us a first name to use.

What Mike said.

Your plumber had a straight face when he suggested that?

When you do the bucket leak test, use warm water so maybe the plumber won't be blamin' condensation again, eh?

If there is no leak with the bucket test, remove the shower head, install a pipe cap, and turn the shower on for a while to see if maybe it's a plumbing leak.

And, as Mike asked, do tell us what you know about the shower pan construction.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
K Leaky Shower

Leaky Shower

Thanks for both of your replies. My name is Karina.

Before the shower was tiled, my tiler put an impervious liner and we did an overnight test with multiple gallons of water. There was no leaking, as the water remained in the shower pan.

CX, excellent idea about the pipe cap test! My dad just suggested that this past weekend. I was thinking of contacting my plumber to put the cap on and then we can run the test together. My guess is that the hot water line may be leaking.

A little recent background: I did a test late last week. I took a shower in my daughters' shower (shared wall with my shower) a couple of hours after my husband showered in our bathroom (the leaking had not started after his shower). I wanted to confirm there was not a leaking problem from the girls' shower head on the perpendicular wall. No leaks. I went to our shower and turned on the cold water. No leaks again. I switched it to hot and immediately started to leak (there was not enough time for condensation to form). I waited until leaking stopped and cycled through the tests again. Turned on my daughters' shower, no leaks, cold water in our shower, no leaks, switched to hot, leaks. It is almost like the insulation in the wall gets saturated enough to not hold enough and then it just flows through, down to the garage.

Do you think I am on the right path? Thanks!!
K Leaky Shower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
onereelbigfishy

Sounds like you found it but it doesn't sound like an easy fix!
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Your Weep Holes Are Plugged. I TAKE IT BACK!!
I missed the part about the hot water...
Your sure your not filling the pan up to the point that its over flowing the liner in the wall??? If its a water line it would happen fast.

(im staying with the weep holes being plugged)

Last edited by e3; 08-07-2007 at 02:52 PM.
e3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
onereelbigfishy

I thought about this some more and if it is the hot water line it would have to probably be a cold soldier right after the hot water valve. otherwise it would be leaking all the time or if it were at the shower head it would be leaking when the cold was turned on as well.

Technically it will still leak when the cold is on but the pressure is probably not strong enough to make it leak very bad. Doing the cap test would make it leak tho.

do the cap test and tell us what happens. I'll be curious to hear what it turns out to be.
Unread 08-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3
(im staying with the weep holes being plugged)
How's that gonna make water leak outa the shower pan, Eric?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
onereelbigfishy

Maybe he means the great big weep hole in the center?
Unread 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
JTG

They could have easy passed the plumbing test and then poured the pan and who knows where the pan may have gotten a hole in it. Backer board fastened thru it on the curb. tool droped on liner. How knows. I agree that the two test are to one. get a ballon or plug and fill the pan to the top of the entry and see what happenes.
If no water then put a hose on the shower head and run it down the drain and turn everything on. What happenes now.
Going to tell you right away where the problem is. Plumbing in the wall or faulty construction.
Good Luck
JTG

PS Oh do keep us posted. To some this is better than a mystery on tv or a book.

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase