Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-18-2022, 06:50 PM   #1
pilotman

Tile Outside Corner

Hi, i've done a few DIY tile projects, like my tile backsplash.

We are tiling our small fireplace. I had planned on miter cutting these.

THe tile we picked doesn't have a matching trim or bullnose, its a small format tile on a mesh back.

how would a professional tile this three edge corner?

I'm stumped.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by pilotman; 09-18-2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: correct photo
pilotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Brandon.

I dunno how a "professional" might do it, but I'd simply back-bevel a side and an end on each of those tiles leave a grout joint between them. Same as what you're calling "miter cutting," I believe.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

I'm not a pro, but I would use an edge profile with the appropriate outside corner connector. Schluter makes two profiles that come to mind that would work there and they come in a rainbow of finishes. (Rondec and Quadec) The pic attached I used Rondec in Brushed Nickel.
Attached Images

Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

What CX said. And another option would be to use a metal profile strip with outside corner block pieces.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #5
pilotman

Thank you very much, both great solutions

And yes, by miter I meant back bevel, to cut the edges at a 45 and joining them together with a grout joint

Visually i could imagine doing a standard two plane outside corner, but the three plane outside corner was hard for me to picture in my mind if that would work

I've seen youtube channels with people back beveling with a wet saw set to a 45 degree angle and pushing thru at the very edge, behind the face, or using an angle grinder to remove the backside at at a 45.

Any preferences on that?

The Schulter method seems so much easier because I could see cutting all the miter edges could be tedious since it is labor intensive

I assume I could get the Schulter in a glossy white that closely matches my glossy white, very standard subway tile....?

Is there a preference to using aluminum vs PVC?

That photo you posted John is perfect, exactly what I was trying to visualize in my head.

As another dumb question, when doing this, it would seem to me that I want install this corner edging first, then tile, correct?
Unread 09-18-2022, 08:24 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Cutting the back bevels, or miters, is not at all difficult if you've got the right saw and make a simple jig, Brandon. You want the cuts to end up looking like the photo below. You don't want to cut to a sharp edge at the bevel, you want leave a bit of "meat" there.

Name:  back mitering tile.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  16.2 KB

Unread 09-18-2022, 08:40 PM   #7
pilotman

Thank you!

I will practice on some leftover tile from our backsplash and will post photos when I'm done
Unread 09-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #8
Snets

And to add even more choices, Schluter makes a profile (Finec) that works with back-beveled tiles, for those who prefer a more subdued, edge profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman
The Schulter method seems so much easier because I could see cutting all the miter edges could be tedious since it is labor intensive
I would not say going with a profile is less work or easier. Getting the profiles right is a lot harder in the real world application than the sterile-environment videos Schluter makes - same for all of their products I would say.

Quote:
As another dumb question, when doing this, it would seem to me that I want install this corner edging first, then tile, correct?
You can. Or you can install one plane of tile with the profile. Difficult to do that corner you show all at once. IF everything was flat, plumb and square, sure. I find one plane of tile with the profile works best.

Quote:
I assume I could get the Schulter in a glossy white that closely matches my glossy white, very standard subway tile....?
Yes, in PVC and aluminum. I've only used aluminum.

If you decide to go the profile route, hit me up I have more photos of different installs and can explain my decisions.

Oh, and just know back-beveling is much less expensive but you have no edge protection if it's a high-traffic area. Your decision, either way, folks here will walk you through it.

Last edited by Snets; 09-18-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Unread 09-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #9
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

A metal profile is by far the simplest way of handling that.
Unread 09-20-2022, 06:54 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Given how exposed those corners are I wonder if using a metal profile might actually be more durable than a mitered tile corner.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2022, 10:22 PM   #11
Snets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Given how exposed those corners are I wonder if using a metal profile might actually be more durable than a mitered tile corner.
I agree. And since I have a really crappy tile saw (upgrading with cash from current side job) I can't imagine getting those bevels perfect. Maybe with a new saw I can
Unread 09-22-2022, 07:42 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Thought the same thing about getting them straight, John. Though my low budget saw will cut at 90* inexplicably straight it absolutely will not do so when mitering.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #13
pilotman

Here is the finished product.

I went the miter route. It came out ok.

It was very tedious. I actually used my Milwaukee 4.5 angle grinder with a Casagrande tile blade. What I did was actually use the face of the blade to sand/grind the backside down. The cheap chinese blade didn't explode in my face, so that's a bonus.

https://www.amazon.com/Casaverde-Dia.../dp/B071G5P1MR

It took a bit of practice and was time consuming. I worked a few hours at a time, busy with my full time job, my kids etc.. I watched a few youtube videos of this technique and it was much easier for a novice DIY guy to grind/sand than actually cut and run the angle grinder along it in a traditional cutting method. I borrowed a pretty good sized wet saw from a friend but cutting each small tile at a 45 seemed to be a hassle. I used the wetsaw for straight cuts.

I have not caulked the miter joints yet. I bought the tile at the Tile Shoppe. They also sold me their grout, Superior Excel or something like that, in Charcoal. It was $70 for a 25lb bag. It sucked. Very sandy and difficult for me to apply. I am going to use a sanded, silicone grout to do the miter corners.

Almost done with the new mantle as well. Used pine, distressed with a wirecup wheel on the same angle grinder, going to stain to match floor.

Last edited by pilotman; 10-09-2022 at 06:38 PM.
pilotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #14
pilotman

Here are my photos. THanks for all the help and advice. i'm pretty happy with it, although my back hurts.

time for a beer.
Attached Images

Unread 10-09-2022, 07:54 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nicely done, Brandon.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase