Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Anthocar

Levelquik RS not drying

Hi Tile wizards. I mixed up some levelquik RS to lean up some chips and inconsistencies in my bathroom before laying tile. Its been 2 hours and it's still not quite dry.

The smaller bathroom was about a 1/8 inch pour. It was reasonably hard when I went back to check on it just now.

The bigger bathroom was laid a little thicker, around 3/8" and is somewhat hard but will come up the consistency of soft eraser dust if you run your fingers across the top of it.

Any ideas about what to do from here? Let it dry more? Take it up and start over? It's been rainy here but still very hot 90s and 100s so I can't imagine it would take so long to dry off.

AC

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Maybe the SLC was old. Regardless, I would let it dry longer. Did you use a primer?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Anthocar

Yep I did. Cleaned, swept, mopped, and primed with customs leveler. I talked to rep at custom and he said that it could have been either too much water (which I guarantee is not the case. I measured exactly.) Or it could have been not mixed well enough. He said that it must be mixed at over 600 RPM and I have serious doubts that I mixed it with that high RPM. The bucket was so full, idk how anyone could mix over 600rpm in a 5 Gallon bucket.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

my bet is it set up fine.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Just did a level with the RS leveler and the HO added too much water to the mix...an extra 1/2 gallon and it was pretty loose.....however, it firmed up well...although it took an extra 12 hours to do so. Still, it hardened up fine with the help of a fan.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Anthocar

Weird. It's still not set. I can run my fingers over the top and it feels like clay. I'm getting close to just taking it up and starting over.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Was this from an opened bag? In really humid weather the stuff can go bad quickly in an opened bag.

FWIW, the stuff cures, not dries. It’s a chemical reaction. It will get hard before it is totally dry.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
Anthocar

Interesting. Now that you mention it, there was a small hole in the second bag which is the floor that wouldn't dry. I wonder if that's what happened.

I rented a demo hammer last night and took the whole floor up. I'll prime it tonight and pour it again tomorrow.

I also think it wasn't mixed as well as it should have been because I kept having to stop the drill to keep the LQ from splashing out of the bucket and it definitely wasn't mixed over 600rpm. It mixed to liquid with no lumps or bubbles but wonder if the chemical reaction didnt take effect or if the open bad was the culprit.

After 4 days the other bathroom is finally hardening (the unopened bag #1) and was poured a lot thinner @ 1/16"

Thanks for all the input fellas.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Another thing you may encounter is just stuff past it’s expiratio date, which is only valid in an undamaged bag stored properly.The stuff may not become a solid lump in a compromised bag, but end up a bunch of loosely attached, cured grains that can be broken up. When mixing, you’ve got essentially all aggregate with no active cement left to cure. Cement cures just fine while wet. Curing actually chemically incorporates water into its structure...the excess not needed for that reaction will eventually dry.

Too much water, and the stuff can separate the particles making the crystalline structure have less chance of interlocking, and allow the active and inactive components to separate, sort of like panning for gold.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
Anthocar

Thanks for the input. Ive just laid it for the 2nd time and it was night and day. I bought a smaller paddle for the mixer so it could rotate faster. I also turned on the AC in the unit so that it can stay cool and dry. It could have been mixed badly the first time, been a bad batch, or both but this pour was 100x better.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Looks great!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Old 07-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #12
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Well your tile better look real good on that nice surface
Old 07-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #13
Anthocar

Lol seriously. 2 floors later, if it doesn't, I'm installing carpet in the bathroom.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
Anthocar

Night and day. It was dry in 3 hours, I'm tiling on it today.

Question for floor tile pros: There was a tiny (less than 1/16") border where the first batch of LQ met with the 2nd. The floor is smooth as glass and level, except for this small piece. Do I need to address it somehow or can I just start tiling.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #15
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

With it that small, I should think you're good to go. Any more than that, a rub stone would even it out.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase