Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-13-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
amos

Unhappy Grout problems

Help....I finished my shower about a month ago and the grout on the floor has started to change color?!?! I put three coats of sealant on it. Any idea what is going on? I have attached a picture that may help. My guess is it is moisture getting under the sealant? Your thoughts would be REALLY appreciated.

By the way, I originally logged on with a question about a shower bench. I was concerned about it ending up in my kitchen (due to the weight) well it hasn't joined me for breakfast yet. Thanks for the advice. (I will include a couple pictures of the bench as well.)

Thanks!

Amos
Attached Images

amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-13-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
amos

I have a couple more pictures of the finished shower and bench, but it won't let me attach them. Argh!
Unread 07-13-2004, 10:56 PM   #3
Mike2

Hi Amos.

Tell us, what brand of sealer/impregnator did you use? How soon after grouting did you apply the three coats and what was the interval between coats?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #4
bbcamp

Are you sure the weepholes are clear?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
KChurch1
Maintanence/Restoration Pro

Looks like the moisture is wicking up from under the tiles. The shower pan may not be sloped properly and the weep holes may be clogged causing water to pool under the tiles. We see this a lot.
KChurch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 08:55 AM   #6
amos

I used 511 Impregnator and waited 24 hours between applications. I am confident the pre-slope was correct - checked it about a million times. As far as the weepholes go, they were clear before I put the final slope in and I used pea gravel all around them so they wouldn't get plugged. Is there a way to check if they are clear at this point? I just grouted around the wall floor intersection and sealed that as well, but did not caulk it. Could this be my problem Thanks
Unread 07-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Amos,

Grouting around the perimeter won't cause any problems. I do it all the time.

It looks to me like the sealer really worked on portions of the grout but not on others. That's just a preliminary guess. Do you dry the shower with a towel after using it?

Well, do ya?

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #8
PAhomeowner

Question Sealing the shower floor

Sorry, Amos, I am not going to add to the answers to your question. You are a lot farther along than I am, I have never sealed a shower.
First, I want to say that I am disappointed to hear that you no longer sell a sealer. I had done some research on this website the end of May as I have a shower to seal. I had printed some of the e-mails recommending the Stone Armour and decided that is what I would use. Then I got sick in June and when I came back here today I found out that I can't get the Stone Armour anymore. So, I will get the Aquamix, which was my 2nd choice based on everyone's input.
Second, I have a question for John Bridge and anyone else who has an opinion. We moved into our house over a year and a half ago and have not used the shower in our master bath yet. This is because I knew that I wanted to seal the grout first. I did some research in September 2002 and found your website. I printed out an article you wrote about Ceramic Tile Showers and how to keep the grout joints clean. At the end of the article you wrote "Do not seal the shower floor. It needs to breath, and the sealer will inhibit it from doing so." Then, I wasn't sure what to do, so I did nothing and the grout never got sealed and we haven't used the shower yet. Yes, this is procrastination at its best. Needless to say, my husband is very upset with me as he has to walk to the guest bath to shower every morning. So, he gave me a deadline of July 26th to seal it and after that he is using the shower, sealed or not. John, I see that you responded to Amos about his shower floor grout problem. And I noticed in a response to Robin, wife concerned with husband's tile job, that you do recommend sealing the shower floor. So, I just want to verify, do you recommend sealing the shower floor or not? Is breathing an issue for the floor or not? I'll do whatever you suggest, as you are the expert and I trust you.
I am very thankful for this website and appreciate any and all information and opinions. Since I have a deadline, I am desperate.
Thank you,
Andrea
PAhomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 04:21 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Andrea,

When I wrote the article we were still hooked on silicone sealers which clog the pores of the grout. Stone Armor, Sealer's Choice and the like are impregnators which allow the grout to breathe. The term is "moisture transmissible." So while they do a fairly good job of repelling water and an excellent job of repelling oils and grease, moisture that gets into the grout can evaporate back out. So now I say seal everything including the shower floor.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #10
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Since it looks like some darkening of the wall grout you could just have that yellow red mildew i get sometimes,or ya got so much sealer ya clogged her up and she can't dry out,plus the problems they mentioned.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
amos

Any advice on fixing the problem? It appears to be a moisture issue....

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase