Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
noexit

T&G Subflor: Can I make this work?

In my kitchen, I have a 1x6 tongue and groove subfloor laid diagonally over 14' 2x10" joists with 16in spacing. The Deflecto says I have L360.

I have 3/4" hard wood abutting the kitchen, and I'd like to get flush with that, but I'm not sure that this is going to be possible.

It looks like the min ply I can get away with is 1/2. My tile is 21/64 (9.5mm) 13" square. So it's looking like:
1/2 ply
1/8 thinset
1/4 backer
1/4 thinset
21/64 Tile

So that's looking like almost 5/8 over my hardwood.

I'm not removing the kitchen cabinets, and they run parallel to the joists, about. The closest joist to the front of the cabinets is about 9". The planks also run under all the walls, so for example, the closest joist I can screw into if I wanted to pull up all the floor boards and replace with plywood subfloor would be almost a full 16" in many places.

I started putting down 3/8 ply over the T&G, because I was originally going to go a non-tile route, but it seems like this is not going to cut it.

What are my options? Are my thickness estimates right? It looks like if I used Ditra, I'd only shave about 1/8 off this, but if I could fudge another 1/8 and keep that 3.8 ply, then I'd be close enough.

I'm also doing 7/8" mosiac in my bathroom, and the local tile shop told me that 1/4 ply over the wood T&G with 1/4 backer board would be fine. Joist length in there is only about 6'.

Last edited by noexit; 11-11-2019 at 03:04 PM.
noexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Aaron.

The ANSI standards presume you to have your board subflooring oriented perpendicular to the joists when they recommend that minimum addition of nominal half-inch plywood subflooring. You don't have that. While the plywood is primarily for the purpose of isolating your tile installation from your sawn board subfloor, you do have less rigidity in your subfloor than you would were the boards oriented perpendicular to the joists. You still wanna go with the minimum plywood thickness, that's entirely up to you.

When changing to ceramic tile flooring, the important consideration is making the substrate suitable for the tile installation. You can then make the necessary transitions to adjacent floor coverings. Transitions from tile to hardwood flooring are among the easiest to make.

You wanna stop seeking installation advice from whatever tile shop gave you the advice to use 1/4" plywood over your board subflooring. Again, in your application the 1/2" plywood is the minimum acceptable.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase