Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
rwdywill

Incorrectly installed paper faced mosaic

I'm new to this forum and to DYI tiling, but was hoping to get so advice as I think I may need to redo an incorrectly install tile job.

I had someone install a paper faced tile and when I examined what he had done I realized that he installed it with the paper facing the wall and not out towards the installer.

He says this is how he's always done, but I told him that it didn't make sense and that he was wrong.

So now the tile is on the wall(doesn't look bad), but I'm worried about the tile coming off the wall a few months down the road, as I'm assuming the paper will act as a bond breaker.

Should I just take the tile down and start over? I'm assuming that I would have do to this one tile at a time because the paper would be destroyed once I took down the tile.
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Nick,

Welcome to the forum.

Got pics? Some close up and some further away.

Who made this tile? Did it come with instructions?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Nick.

No, you should not take it down. If, in fact, you have paper faced mosaic tile that was installed with the paper on the back, the guy you paid to install it should take it down, buy you some new tile, and install it correctly.

There are tiles that are mounted on a paper mesh backing that would be installed as you describe, but it would be obvious to you, and to your installer, that it was not a continuous sheet of paper.

Your tiles may be coming off the wall already as the thinset mortar begins wetting the paper backing. Wetting is how the paper is removed when the tile is properly installed.

Have you paid for this installation?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
rwdywill

Here are some pics. of the job. The tile is by Fired Earth Glass works. There were directions on the packaging, but they didn't speak to the orientation of the tile or the paper backing.

Unfortunately, I did pay the guy. So I guess I got what I paid for. It's part of the reason I'm wanting to do it myself and cut my loses .
Attached Images

Last edited by rwdywill; 12-08-2013 at 04:51 PM.
rwdywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

from page 9 of the instructions;

The tiles can now be pressed firmly into the adhesive. Paper and cellophane faced mosaics should be tiled with this side facing outwards.

from page 10;

With paper faced mosaics the adhesive should be allowed to partially set but before they
have become fully bonded, the paper must be removed. Setting time will vary according to
wetness of the mix, ambient temperature, type of substrate etc. The average is 30 to 60
minutes.

The paper is secured with water soluble glue and can be removed by wetting. Moisten the
paper with a damp sponge, do not use a spray bottle as the water does not penetrate as
thoroughly making the paper removal more difficult. Dampen a few times prior to peeling it
off. If removal is difficult, dampen further and leave for another 5 to 10 minutes before trying
again.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com

Last edited by Houston Remodeler; 12-08-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Lakee911

Sorry to side track .. Did he put electrical box extensions on your existing electrical boxes? I see that one receptacle looks to be a bit "sunk in." Having the box come to near the face of the wall is a code requirement. Also, that receptacle should be GFCI protected per code. Perhaps there is on upstream in the circuit?

Jason
Lakee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
PetrH

Jason is spot on with the electrical.

As for the tile: I think that you should leave it be. Yes, it is screwed up and the installer should replace it for you, but sounds like that ship has sailed. Any failure of the install will be gradual and you can always re-do it later. The way it is now, the grout has locked everything together and the caulking along the perimeter will hold it in place. You will not be able to salvage that tile if you take it down.
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

How nice ... no thinset squeezing out through the grout joints. Bet it saved a lot of time in cleaning prior to putting in grout.

Unread 12-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
jwmezzanotte

Ive not set paper faced before. Are paper faced usually (or sometimes) finished on both sides?
I ask because that does look like a finished face on those tiles.
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
Lakee911

Maybe after the thinset cured and dried the glue on the paper rebonded itself. Thinset might be over kill for gluing paper to drywall, but it just might work out for you.
Lakee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Ive not set paper faced before. Are paper faced usually (or sometimes) finished on both sides?
I ask because that does look like a finished face on those tiles.
Hi John

I think this is what they are supposed to look like:

Oasis Glass Mosaic

The fronts are slightly pillowed and could have an iridescence to them.

Not very helpful, but sorry for your troubles, Nick

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
RipRap

I sure wouldn't mess with that tile unless you have a problem or you don't like the look....

it looks the same as the picture GraniteGirl posted to me.....

The face paper glue is probably plenty strong for a back splash IMO, so long as it stays dry.
Unread 05-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
Steve C

I just got a request from a good long-time client to do a splash with Fired Earth glass.

I know better than to install with the paper to the mortar, but I did think "how the heck am I supposed to install this stuff?".

My clients got no instructions other than the ones on the box, which aren't as detailed as the ones Paul posted. I'm a little apprehensive of "With paper faced mosaics the adhesive should be allowed to partially set but before they have become fully bonded, the paper must be removed." I assume this is to allow adjustments.

Also, The Tile Shop always seems to sell sanded grout "for 1/8" and larger joint size" and admix even for these glass tiles, some of which will have no grout joint at all if I install as they're on the paper.

Should be an interesting install.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase