Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Skyace777

Concrete/mortar grinder - BOSCH CSG15?

Hello tilers!

I recently picked up the Bosch CSG15 concrete grinder kit off Amazon. Used it once so far with my Ridgid 14 gallon HEPA vac to grind some old thinset and concrete in a small area. It works ok but I have two concerns:

- Power button is on the side and not very ergonomic to hold while working. Plus no lock function (likely for safety)

- Can't seem to find a suitable snap-in adapter for my vacuum. I'm just using a reducer adapter from Ridgid which is ok but doesn't lock in. Maybe I should tape it in place?

Welcome suggestions and thoughts on this tool. Trying to decide if I should keep it or get something else. Want a high quality concrete grinder for smaller area/jobs that will last and is easy to use. Surprised there aren't more brushless models.

Thanks,
???????Al
Unread 06-15-2021, 02:16 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyace777
...Plus no lock function (likely for safety)
When you slide the switch forward, press in (towards the body of the tool) on the front half of the switch to engage the “lock-on” position.

Quote:
...- Can't seem to find a suitable snap-in adapter for my vacuum. I'm just using a reducer adapter from Ridgid which is ok but doesn't lock in. Maybe I should tape it in place?
To stop the Great Dust Bowl of ‘39 (or whatever year it was) from happening again, TAPE IT IN PLACE!!! All it takes is about a second after the hose wiggles loose to fill a football stadium with a thick cloud of dust. The vac hose gets knocked around so often that I don’t think a “locking connector” would guarantee it from coming loose. But blue tape keeps it tightly in place.

Quote:
...Welcome suggestions and thoughts on this tool.
I have an older model of this tool...the Bosch 1773AK from several years ago and is still working well. It’s a high quality tool for occasional use. But if you decide to do larger jobs or will be using it weekly, I’d suggest getting a big 7” grinder that will come with a very heavy motor. You may also want to consider getting a “Dust Deputy” dust separator if you really want to make it easy on your vacuum.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
Skyace777

Thanks for the tips Tool Guy! (the dash of humor was also nice)

I'll look for that option with the switch on the tool and also tape the adapter with some duct tape or gaffer tape.

I don't think I need the larger grinder at this point for my occasional use but will keep it in mind if the situation changes.

I did read about those dust separators in the past but never went for one. Sounds like you recommend it. Is there one in particular that would be most ideal to use with my Ridgid 14 gallon shop vac?

-Al
Unread 06-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg

Dust Deputy by Oneida is what I know. But I’m sure there are lots of other brands or knock offs that would work, too.

You can buy the separator part and mount it on your own canister or bucket instead if you don’t mind a little project and want to save a few bucks.

Unread 06-16-2021, 05:46 AM   #5
smifwal

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081SK39QW...p_mob_ap_share
Unread 06-16-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
Skyace777

Thanks guys. I called up Oneida Air Systems and they sold me on the heavy duty kit made of powder-coated steel. https://www.oneida-air.com/heavy-dut...xe-cyclone-kit. Apparently the steel is better at handling the silica particles with the cyclone action over time compared to plastic.
Unread 06-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Have that separator. Best thing I ever bought. If you get into serious grinding Oneida makes some great Industrial Vac/Separators

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
Skyace777

Been using this heavy duty separator kit for a while now and I gotta say that it is great! Handles ground up concrete, thinset, etc. with ease while never causing the vac to lose suction. I highly recommend this upgraded model over the plastic model for this kind of use. Only downside is it's a little pricey for what it is but I expect it to last.
Unread 08-31-2021, 11:41 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg

I don’t think dust separators are widely known. I don’t know any other contractors that use them on-site. But they are growing in availability, though. I see them slowly growing into retail stores.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase