Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
bek

Tiling around window and door trim--raise the trim?

Hi, guys. I've laid tile in several rooms, so I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question, but I'm tiling the wall for the first time. We have a door and a window in there that has trim that comes out about 1" from the wall. My thinset and tile will also come out about an inch, making the new tiled wall flush with the trim. I really hate the idea of that. What do people do in this situation? A friend of mine that installs cabinets said there is a piece of trim (I forget what he called it) that you can easily attach to my current trim that will raise it from the wall, but I asked the guy at Lowes and they had no idea what he was talking about.

What do people usually do? It's fairly trick trim, and I'm kind of doubtful I can find 2" trim to replace it with. Do I somehow build it up, instead?

I hope I am making sense. I just don't want the wall tile to come out as far as the window and door trim does.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Brian
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
JTG

Morning Brian.
At the box store you can get cardboard drywall shims.
I'm thinking that if you cut them in narrow strips and lay them behind the wood trim so that where the trim meets the tile there will be more reveal and at the same time not bring it out where it meets the existing surfaces around the door and window stock.
Good Luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
dgunnels
Neesie

Welcome Brian. Just a little add on to Jerry's post... I wouldn't use the cardboard in a wet application but as long as the window isn't in a shower you'll be OK.

Denise Gunnels, Realtor

http://www.harrynorman.com/agents/17291-Denise-Gunnels
dgunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Brian.

Some clarification first? Pretty unusual these days to find door and window casings anywhere close to an inch thick. That an accurate measurement?

Even more unusual would be a thinset wall tile installation even half that thickness. Did you make a test installation of the tile you intend to use, or is that more of a guess?

If you do need/want to raise the height of the casings, though, you can't usually raise it any appreciable amount without raising it on both edges. That requires jamb extensions on the inside edge a well as some sort of shimming on the outside edge. Good bit of trim work to gain a little height, but it can certainly be done.

If you're sure you need to do that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
bek

Thank you guys for the welcome. And also thank you for the quick responses. Like a dolt, I waited until the last minute to ask for advice.

It's been quite some time since I'd measured everything, so I just remeasured. The window trim is 3/4", and the door trim is 7/8".

Yeah, pulling the trim off and shimming underneath does seem like a lot of work, and I am a little afraid I will split the trim removing it. Is there another way?

Oh, I should have mentioned... my tile is 1/2", so by the time I add thinset, which I like to make pretty thick, it should definitely be higher than the window trim and close to the door trim.

Maybe I should just tile the way and not worry about the trim being flush? I just don't know what to do.
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you'll go to the UserCP above, Brian, find Edit Signature and enter your first name there it'll appear in each post and we won't gotta search for it, eh?

There is no reason you can't install that half-inch tile with thinset and still have a decent reveal at even your thinnest trim section there. No reason you need a quarter-inch or more of thinset under that installation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
bek

Okay, I added my name to my signature. Sorry about the confusion. I am new to the board.

I guess I will try that--thank you for the advice.

Do you happen to know what my kitchen installer was talking about, when he said there was a piece of trim I could get that would fit partially around my existing window trim? He had a name for it, but I can't recall it and he's out of town for a bit.
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
bek

wall outlet?

Oh, one other question--I have several plug-ins and light switches. I know I need to move them out somehow to be flush with the tile. How do you generally do that?
Unread 07-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
koihito
A person, like you.

Unscrew them, make sure the tile goes under the ears but not over the screw holes, and get longer screws. You can buy box extenders, but you really don't need them.

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Brian,

"Back band" is the trim that you add to the outside of your trim.

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
bek

Man, you guys are life savers.

I'm off to buy some materials--thank you again!

I will post pictures when I get done, just to show what you guys have helped me do.
Unread 07-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
bek

backband

Okay, I'm back. The local shops don't even know what backband is, although I see some beautiful pieces online.

I'm going to go ahead and start on my tile job now. I can get a bit done before I have to make a decision about whether to use it or not.

Talk to you guys soon.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase