Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
elli

How to seal Jerusalem stone floor

I've choosed the honed Jerusalem antique gold tile as the floor tile in my bath and powder rooms. I assume that Jerusalem stone is a limestone. It will need to be sealed properly. After reading the posts from all the seal experts, gurus and cults, I'm still quite confused. (actually, more confused) So here are my questions:

1. I need to seal both the tile and the grout.
2. Water-based sealer will do the job.
3. What's difference between AquaMix's sealer's choice 15 Gold and stone sealer's choice. Both of them can be used for limestone and grout.

Thanks for any information.
Elli
elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-14-2004, 02:55 AM   #2
Maurizio Bertoli

Dear Elli:
There's a type of Jerusalem limestone that's dense to the point not to require any sealing. To find out if what you're considering is it, try to spill some water on a sample tile and let it sit there for 10 minutes or so. Wipe it dry and observe if on the areas where the water has been sitting the stone has become any darker. If so, then you will consider sealing it with a good-quality stone impregnator/sealer (water-carried impregnators are the best for the application). If not, just seal the grout inside the shower stall: the impregnator/sealer will not stand a chance to get properly absorbed by the stone.
As for the brands of the sealer you mentioned, I will make no comment. I have a conflict on interest on this subject.
Should you care about getting my maintenance guidelines for residential stone installations at no charge, gimme a shout through the Contact Us section of the website listed below and I'll e-shoot them to you pronto.
Ciao and good luck,
Unread 08-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Jim Cuviello

Elli,

I don't know why Maurizio has a conflict but I will tell you that he makes an impregnator. We have found it to be the best and we have tried most of them. Not only does it repel oil very well it repels water equally as well. Most impregnators repel one better than the other but his repells both. I will warn you it is not the cheapest on the market but it is the only one that I know of that comes with a ten year warranty. The less expensive ones are filled with a lot of compounds that evaporate leaving behind little protection. His web site is mbstone.com.
Jim Cuviello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Elli, Welcome aboard.

Welcome to you, too, Jim.

You can gauge the merits of the various Aquamix products by visiting their web site. http://www.aquamix.com You can also call their support line during business hours. Number's on the site. In my limited experience, Aquamix products have always been good.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
JTG

J-Stone

Warning-Warning

Some J-stone are very porous and will absorb everything stating from the time you lift them from the box. During installation keep the water used for clean up very clean by changing often and wipe the tile clean often and don't let anything soak in our you will be done with your installation and have water marks on the tile will not come out. Be careful.

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #6
Maurizio Bertoli

Well, Jim, that's my conflict right there!
I just don't feel comfortable advertising my own products on an open forum. That is not the reason why I participate. On the other hand, you can't expect me to comment on competing products - one way or the other.
When TYW had their own products I was encouraging people to purchase them, because I felt that this wonderful site deserves to be supported by those who get helped by the advice of the experts participating into it. Now that they don't have them anymore, I see no reason to talk about one product or another.
What I can say is this, though: I don't see any of the staff of any other company making products for stone and tile care spending any time helping out, do you?... They are probably too busy selling their stuff to bother!!
Thank you for your comment about my product anyway!
And BTW, there are a few good impregnator/sealers on the market. The main difference between my company and the competition is that, no matter how good my impregnator/sealer is, I don't give half the importance to it than the other companies give to these kinds of products. I reckon that they don't have much to say and leave the solution of all the problems related to natural stone to some "miracle-in-a-bottle!"
They were so good at promoting impregnator/sealers that they made almost a religious cult out of it!!
I do know what an impregnator does and what people can expect from it, which is only a tiny fraction of the imaginary performance that the magic word "sealer" brings to most people mind.
And I have this thing, you know: "Education before any sale!"
It's not just a good-sounding slogan: I actually mean it!!
Ciao and good luck,
Unread 08-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #7
Jim Cuviello

Maurizio,

I hope I did not open a can of worms here. If you give good sound advice you deserve to be thanked for it. If that means someone buys your product as a result of your advice thats like saying thank you. You certainly don't appear to push your products, you speak your mind and let the consumer decide for themselves. I have to say we are very happy with your products. The MB-12 is polishing powder on steriods. When will you have your new tile and grout cleaner ready?

You make a good point. Where are all the other manufacturers?

Thanks for all your help.
Unread 08-15-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
Maurizio Bertoli

Oh no, Jim: You didn't open any can of worms here!
First of all, this is an open forum and there's still freedom of speech in this country! John Bridge himself and all the moderators support that very much!
What's more, my position about the "brain-washing" impregnator/sealers is well known here and on any other forum I participate to for a while!
If some people will consider "prizing" my help by purchasing some of my products, they can do that without the need of me trumpeting them. But, like I said, my parteciaption to this forum is not about peddling a coulpe of bottles here and there. If I needed that I would be in big trouble!!
Finally, answering your question about when my professional-grade tile and grout cleaner will be ready, the formulation is completed. We're only waiting for the final feedback from a couple of contractors that often cooperate with us, and who are currently testing it on the field for several weeks already. Once we get the final report (which should be any time now), if no modification to the formula will be required, it will be a matter of two or three weeks.
Ciao and good luck,
Unread 08-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
elli

Thanks for everyone's inforamtion.

I've spent some time on Aquamix's web site. It looks like Sealer's Choice is for grouts and Stone Sealer's Choice is for stone. However, either one will work for both grout and stone. JB got a good suggestion. I'll call Aquamix to get a answer.

I end up bought a bottle of Sealer's choice and a bottle of Stone Enhancer. The enhancer is for 2"x 2" Noce tiles in my shower floor. I have tested the enhancer and the sealer on the Jerusalem stone yesterday. Both of them behave like AquaMix claims. No-sheen and natural look. The enhancer darker the stone a bit but not much. It just looks like the color that you spray water on the stone and wipe them out. I'll spray some water on the test tile tonight and see what well it holds.

Now more questions:

1. I just found out that the AquaMix's Enhencer is solvant-base. What does that mean? Is it good or bad to use it on the shower or bath floor stone tiles? BTW, the color of Enhencer is milk-white and the water-base sealer is clear.

2. Will the color of Enhencer-treated stone tiles fade out? I got some confilct answers. Some said yes and some said no.

3. I use polished Jerusalem mosiac tiles as borders and accents. My wife think that it would be nice if we could enhence the color. I assume that polished limestone stoned couldn't absorb any sealer. Thus, the enhencer is not going to do anything. Should I use the stone polishing product to enhence the look or there are other products that I can use.

I feel like I have joined a sealer cult. :-) Thanks god that I didn't open the TileLab sealer and I can still return it.

Thanks for your help.
Elli

P.S.

MB,
My Jerusalem tiles are definitely needed to be sealed. The tile will absorb the water and leave a water mark.

Jim,
I am aware that MB have very good sealer products. I didn't mention his products in my question is because I hope he can add his comments on Aquamix's products. But it seems did not trick him. I'll try his products when I need a new sealer.

JTG,
Thanks for your warning. I did ask my setters to be easy on these stones, since they are very easy to get stained. However, they still do in their own way. One setter is very neat. I can trust him. However, I have to keep my eyes on others.
elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #10
Jim Cuviello

Elli,

I don't think you will ever find Maurizio saying anything bad about the competition. I do know his impregnator works well on bith grout and stone. He also has a color enhancer that I have used a few times with greta luck. Many of the questions you have just asked he can answer with grest detail. I am sure if you e-mail him directly or even call him he would be more than happy to help. He has helped us in many situations and every solution he has ever given me was right on the money.
Unread 08-17-2004, 12:31 AM   #11
Maurizio Bertoli

Dear Elli:
I will answer your questions in the same order their were asked.
1. The espression "solvent-based" is technically wrong. It should read: "solvent-carried." An impregnator or a color enhancer are "based" on the resin representing the solid part of the mix, i.e.: "silicone-based" or "fluorochemical-based" etc.. Such resin can be carried inside the stone by either water (in the case of "water-carried" products) or a mineral solvent (in the case of "solvent-carried" products). To the best of my knowledge, all color enhancers are solvent-carried for better penetration and because the enhancing agent (usually some sort of mineral oil) doesn't mix with water.
2. It eventually may. How soon? It all depends on the quality of the product.
3. A color anhancer will seldom enhance the color of a polished stone. The polishing process is the best color enhancing that a stone can get. Just see if it absorbs water and becomes darker. If so you stand a chance.

It turned out that your Jerusalem limestone was the type that needs sealing. No "cult" there!!

You're right, you didn't trick me at commenting those products. There is a question lingering in my mind, though: How come you had to ask me all those questions, if they have such a wonderful customer support?!...
Ciao and good luck,

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase