Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
saebeil

Rob's Master Bath Overhaul

Hi everyone,
First this forum is great, been reading around. I am currently remodeling master bath, stripped down to studs. I am sure I will have more questions but figured I would start with one.

Flooring....
I have some 12x12 Porcelain tile.
Currently have 3/4" subflooring down. I want to install infloor heating mat, just have the roll mat from Home depot.
My original thought was laying cement backerboard, then tiling.
Now I am thinking I might use Self Level Cement to make sure we are 100% level for the tile.

So my question are...
What should be my underlayment process?
I of course have the 3/4" subfloor, is this enough
Then apply SLC?
Apply warming mat in the SLC?
Then mortar, then backerboard, mortar, tile?
Unread 01-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
saebeil

Just checking in to see if anyone had any advice/tips on my underlayment process?
Unread 01-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Rob.

You need to evaluate your joist structure to determine whether your floor is a candidate for a ceramic tile installation without improvement. You can use the Deflectometer in the dark blue bar near the top of the page to get an initial go/no-go reading on that.

Your 3/4" plywood, if of proper type and properly installed meets the minimum requirement of all tiling substrate manufacturers.

Your tiles don't care a whit about a level floor, they care only that the floor is flat. If you intend to use a self-leveling product in conjunction with your radiant heating system, that's fine so long as it's approved by the manufacturers. There would normally be no need for the CBU at all under those conditions.

Again, read and follow the manufacturer's installation instructions for both the heating system and the self-leveling product.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
saebeil

Thank you very much for the reply.
Thanks for pointing me to the Deflecto calculator, very helpful.

So if okay by manufacturer to use SLC in conjunction with the mat, I do not need to then add a layer of CBU, essentially the SLC can act as that layer, if I am understanding that correctly.
Unread 01-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

That may be the case. The SLC manufacturer may require the use of a plastic lath in conjunction with the heating mat, or may require the mat and SLC be poured over a properly installed CBU, or.........whatever. You gotta be very careful you're complying with all their requirements.

The TCNA Handbook requirements call the use of a membrane, crack isolation or uncoupling, over the installed heating system before the tile installation. I personally consider that a requirement. Up to you if you use one.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase