Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Gregg2

Bathroom reno

Hi Folks,

I'm back after a long break. I'm working on another bathroom and have a question on floor tile.

I have put down porcelain tile on my bathroom floor on top of Detra. I have left out a section in the center of the floor to insert a basket weave mosaic. The section for the mosaic is 5 X 2.

The problem I'm having is the porcelain tile is thinner than the basket weave tile.
With the mortar down, the porcelain tile is level with the basket weave (no mortar under the basket weave). I'm looking for options to keep the tile all level. Can I use a 1/4 v notch trowel for the basket weave and push it down with a grout float or should I remove the detra under that section and use a regular trowel. I don't want to remove the detra, but will if that is the best solution, I'll do it.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Gregg
Gregg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Greg, what size are the mosaic tiles in the basket weave? 2x2's are the smallest size recommended over Ditra. Is this over a wood subfloor or concrete slab?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Gregg2

floor

The basket weave tiles are 1" X 2" with a little black dot of tile in the middle of each little weave.

I have re-enforced the floor with 2 x 10s sistered to 2 x 8s. The unsupported span is about 12 ft. The original floor is the shipped lapped 3/4" boards and I have put 5/8" plywood on top and then the detra on top of that.
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Gregg,

The tiles you mention won't meet Schluter's size requirement over Ditra. I'm not saying the installation won't work; I'm saying if it doesn't, you're on your own.

You could bond a layer of Kerdi over the Ditra to bring up the height, then install the mosaics over the Kerdi. I do recommend you go to something 2 inches square or larger, though.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Gregg2

Floor tile

Thanks John,

My problem is actually the reverse. The mosaic tile with mortar will be higher than the other tile. I'm wondering if I should remove the detra for that section and just mortar it to the wood. That would get me close the height of the other tile. Do you think that would be a big problem to have most of the bathroom with detra and the small mosaic section not?
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I wouldn't stick directly to the wood. You can research Protecto Wrap. You can cut the Ditra out in that small area and use it, it's thinner.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase