Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
ripleys_mom

Glass Subway Tile - RainX?

Hi John Bridge, Yes, I am back (in the States and the land of the living). I do miss our house in Katy - all the spectacular remodel you did and within 6 months of completion we were sent overseas. Sigh. The good news was all your work was not in vain and the house sold in a week.

We are wrapping up a 3 bathroom remodel project. All the 20+ yo builder tile around the tubs & floors is replaced and a
new shower for easy entry replaced the floor pan shower downstairs. It was a long journey; tear out began the day of quarantine. We are coming up on week 5 and I see the tile finish line - paint is the final leg and will be done by a professional too. There is not a DIY bone in either of our bodies. I am in awe of the DIY’ers and the pros.

Now my question, which I want to confirm my decision after reading the posts.

Two of the showers have glass subway tile; the showers are used infrequently since everyone flew the coup since we moved back. It is gorgeous and I can post pics once the painting is completed. And, yes I probably did not choose wisely, but I like it.

First, we squeegee and towel dry our shower after every use. Thank you John Bridge for the advice! RainX was suggested as a possible way to keep water spots to a minimum on the glass subway tile. I am thinking it’s best to keep with the towels to minimize water spots and not add RainX to the lovely tile - the room with the new shower has sand colored glass and the Jack/Jill has “ice” white. Both have glass mosaic niches too. Extraordinary work and attention to detail - we could not be happier.

Bottom line, RainX - no, towels yes.

Thanks for any positive/negative opinions (I can take it -lol) or advice.

Stay safe everyone, be well.
KarenJ

PS The third bathroom has Carrera marble walls & floor. I have “0” ability in design, just know what I like & a fair idea of “doable.”
Unread 04-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome back, Karen.

RainX, from what I remember of it, is a kind of a PITA to apply and, being topical, needs periodic reapplication - and probably more frequently if you continue to squeegee and towel the tile.

I'd probably not bother, but I can't see any harm if you want to give it a shot. maybe do just one wall as a test.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Karen,

Long time, no hear.

Thanks for the update on your continuing life saga. Is Ripley (Karen's dog) still with us?

My new better half uses RainX in her glass shower enclosure and likes it. I don't know that I would want to put it on any tile, though, glass or otherwise. Towel drying of the shower is still my only recommendation. Sorry you put marble in your master.

I live 20 miles south of Bastrop, about an hour out of Austin, so you and I are almost neighbors again. One of my doctors is at St. David's' in Round Rock.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase