Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
itguy

Basco

Hi Scott,

I would suggest avoiding Basco from my experience.

I purchased a new home in 2000 and recently ripped out my master bath and am in the process of re-building it.

My Basco shower pan is what caused the whole problem due to cracking. So fast forward to today and I'm half done with the re-model. The wife, myself, and 4 year old have all been using the Shower / Tub combo in the hall bath while I finish the repairs and shower. Its a Basco and has hairline cracks in three different places. Ive just noticed since I have been using the shower everyday. I believe they have probably been there all along because this bathroom was never used for showers until a month ago. They arent leaking but there are still cracks. I dont know much about Basco but based on what I'm seeing at my house I would avoid it. I'm not a professional by any means.

The shower pan was a botched install job not a fault of the Basco. The cracking in the shower pan seemed to be caused by some agressively installed nails. I'll never know but give them the benefit of the doubt. But the shower/tub cracking is obviously a production thing.

On a side note, all the pvc fittings for my sprinklers are Basco brand and I have never had one fail.

I hope this helps in some way.

-Larry
Unread 12-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Larry -

I'm getting confused. What does a Basco shower receptor or tub have to do with a Basco shower door?

Anyway, welcome! If you'd like some advice on your current master bath remodel, start a new thread and ask away. Plenty of folks around to answer any questions about the remodel you might have.

jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
itguy

I understand your confusion

Sorry for the confusion.

Its a basco tub/shower combo with a sliding shower door on it. Its all basco stuff.

The sliding shower door is where the cracking is starting. Its coming off the door area about 4 to 5 inches in 3 areas. They should have hung a curtain.

I see your point, technically the door is fine (needs some adjustment) but the combo unit is annoying to me since its hardly used and damaged already.

On the bright side, that will be my next project because I'm really digging the remodeling in my place.

Maybe the shower door shouldnt have been installed with screws to the studs. I'll have to look at the installation instructions online.

As for my project, I'll definately post some pics and info soon. Ive just finishing up the tearout. Plumbing up all the walls and plumbing is next. Everything is a little crooked. Ive done plumbing and framing just never tile or Kerdi. Thats when I'll need some guidance.

Dual 15A GFI's go in this weekend for the jetted tub. But I'll post details later in a new thread.
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
scott-wisc

The toilet location is fine, so we can put that to rest.

The Basco door is on its way. If it's a piece of crap, I'll let you know.

We are no longer tiling the door wall, but it still needs to get squared for the vanity top. My alternative is to plane down the studs and the top plate.
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #20
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by itguy
I would suggest avoiding Basco from my experience.

The shower pan was a botched install job not a fault of the Basco. The cracking in the shower pan seemed to be caused by some agressively installed nails.

On a side note, all the pvc fittings for my sprinklers are Basco brand and I have never had one fail.
Larry, from what you have said I can't understand why you would say to avoid Basco, he is getting shower doors, not a pan and you said it seemed to be caused by nails. I have put quite a few Basco shower doors in and I would have nothing but good things to say about them. If a shower door is installed correctly you should never have any problem.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #21
itguy

Based on shower/tub combo

Its based on the tub / shower combo and door I have.

I looked closer last night, it has 17 cracks that I could find. Since its only been used about 100 times in its life thats kind of bad. All hairline cracks about half of them around the door mount point.

I dont think I would have ever noticed had I not been forced into the shower in the hall bath because of the leaking shower in my master.

You nailed it (excuse the pun) when you said "installed correctly". Why is it so hard to have something in the bathroom installed correctly? All I find is problems the more I look.

I guess it doesnt matter anyway since I dont like the fiberglass units. I would prefer a nice tile job in there.
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #22
scott-wisc

almost ready for tile

I am about to start tiling the wall, but I have a few questions.

The tiles are 1/2" x 1 1/8" glass. Can I use Megabond thinset with a latex additive? What size trowel?

They come stuck to a thin piece of plastic on the exposed side. Any hot tips on putting these up?
Attached Images

Unread 01-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #23
bbcamp

Megabond with latex additive makes a modified thinset, which is what all glass mosaic manufacturers recommend. Some are more specific and want a higher quality modified thinset. If yours does, you should make an effort to find and use the recommended thinset. Otherwise, Megabond and latex should do.

A 3/16" x 5/32" V-notch should work for those tiles. As always, set some, then pull them to check for coverage. You want nearly 100% coverage with minor thinset oozing between the tiles. The mesh backing may require a bigger notch.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #24
scott-wisc

There is no mesh backing. Once the plastic from the front is removed, all that remains are the tile.
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
scott-wisc

Done!
Attached Images

Unread 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
bbcamp

Nice!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase