Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
bradley paul

correct mud for curb

I read the mud mix for shower base should be 5 to 1, sand/portland cement mix.

The curb however should have lime added to the mix if I understand correctly. I see a product at lowes that is a type s cement (mortar) mix that is 9 to 2 to 1. sand/portland/lime.

Is this appropriate for the curb?
Or type N cement?

I also saw a quikcrete stucco mix that lowes sells, but my local store does not carry it.

thanks
Brad
Old 01-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

You can either add some lime, or what I do is just use brick morter (mason mix) for my curbs as well as filling the void under Kerdi drains....but, that's just me.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
bradley paul

correct mud for curb

thank you for responding so quickly. So is a masonry mix the same as the quikcrete N Mortar Mix i find on the lowes website? Or is it the type S cement mix what you are referring to? I see so many cement and masonry mixes, that I kinda confused as to whether they're the same thing, very diff or close to the same.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The type S will work fine.

Type M -- 2500 PSI
Type S -- 1800 PSI
Type N -- 750 PSI
Type O -- 350 PSI

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I have a question since you got the psi's out there for us. What does psi represent when talking concrete or mortar?

I always thought that it meant that an inch of type m weighed 2500 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
wwhitney

That represents the compression strength of the material. I.e. if it is 1000 psi, then a non-slender column (so we can ignore buckling) of the material that is 1 inch square in cross section should support 1000 pounds without failing. Strength in tension or flexure is much less (for these materials).

Cheers, Wayne
Old 01-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
bradley paul

problem with curb

All went well on shower rebuild till the curb. New studs, blocking, preslope, liner, slope and metal lathe all went well. I tried to build the curb using type s masonry cement. Perhaps it was too wet. The walls would continue to sag as I built them. The trowel would stick if I did not wet it. Therefore, I contributed to walls never drying.

After a few hours, I scraped most of the cement off am now ready for a fresh start. Other tasks have kept me away for two days, so all will be dry and hardened.

Do I use thinset on the remaining cement on the curb before adding more cement to ensure adhesion?

Can I use CBU if I use it on the outside of the curb only? This will allow me to work two surfaces instead of three. Because of the shower pan build inside the shower, that wall is not as tall and I'm hoping I will be more successful.

I plan to mix the type S masonry cement a little thicker.

thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
hfxjohn

What thinset are you using?
Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Kman

My suggestion would be to overbuild the curb with the mud. If the mud would be 1/2" thick after it's finished, then build it up to an inch or more. Let it sit for an hour or so, then start scraping off the excess.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
bradley paul

What thinset

I have versabond LFT non slump polymer modified. I also have MAPEI porcelain tile mortar polymer-enriched
Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
bradley paul

Initial problem

With my initial problem of the curb walls sagging, I did not mix sand with the type S masonary cement. Should I have done so? I used it as is from the bag.

Iím hoping hardibacker on outside wall of curb is acceptable. ThAt will give me two surfaces instead of three to contend with when mudding the curb.

I would thin set outside to even the surface and then attach the hardibacker.

Then thinset inner wall and top so additional cement will adhere to old. (Is this step necessary?)

Then using less water than before, I will mud inside wall and top if expects concur with the process.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

With brick morter, there is no need to add sand. Just mix it with water to the consistency that it will not "slump."

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
bradley paul

Staged and ready

At sons house for curb. Staged and ready. Old mess has been cleaned up. I think my logic is good but expert concurrence will make me more confident.

Is thinset needed to make two day old type S masonry cement and the new cement bond?

John asked what type of thinset. Both I have on hand are polymyer modified. Is that okay?

Do I add sand to the store bought type S masonary cement for building the curb? Or use it straight out of the bag?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
bradley paul

Laz

Laz
Just saw your reply. Thanks.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase