Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
drfeno

Where to caulk vs grout

I'm building a 30 by 60 shower stall, 3 sides, and a sliding glass door. the tile will go all the way to the ceiling. I wont be grouting for a couple days yet. I don't do a lot of tile work, but I basically do everything myself. I'm told I need to use caulk instead of grout where planes change, like in the corners of the stall. My question is, do I need to caulk along the cieling line (seems like a cleaner solution than grout) do I also need to caulk where the outside curb tile meets the floor tile, and under the slight drip edge on the curb?, around the shower floor where it meets the wall tile? All these areas change plane. I'm just looking for best practices.

Thanks,
Old 01-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Essentially, yes to all of your questions. Now, some people get by with using grout at changes of plane. It can be risky and is somewhat dependent on the maximum temperature swings you may experience - the other thing is moisture content if there's wooden substructure...might be fine for a long time, then, you hit a day when the a/c or heat are off, and the temperature extreme causes an issue, or you get a leak somewhere or it rains for days on end, and the humidity is pegged at 100%. My preference is to use an engineered joint (profile) there. Caulk can last a long time, but usually needs to be redone on occasion. A profile is a lifetime endeavor, and doesn't lead to a cleanup issue if you get some caulk where you don't want it, or don't get it as smooth as you might prefer. Unfortunately, though, they must be installed during tiling, so, you're stuck with caulk now.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
drfeno

Thanks,

I may need another tube of caulk, I also have a niche with a shelf. I'll attempt to get the caulk as neat as possible. I did use profiles for ending the tile at the wall, and the outside corner of the plumbing wall. They seem to work pretty well.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase