Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
tjschultz2011

Using DitraHeat on the shower floor

I'm in the middle of my bathroom conversion/shower build and I would like to use DitraHeat on the floor of my shower and top surface of my shower bench if possible. I'm planning to use the kerdi system throughout the shower along with a 48"x72" kerdi shower pan. I can't seem to find very much info regarding the use of DitraHeat in the shower. I imagine it would have to be covered with thinset and kerdi after the cable is in place? I will be using DitraHeat throughout the rest of the bathroom and I figured it would be nice to have in the shower too on these cold Wisconsin winter mornings. Is this an option for me and, if so, what is the step by step process of making it happen?

Thanks!
TJ
Old 12-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
MisterJJ

LMGTFY
Old 12-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
rmckee84

It is an option, and your on the right track. I would just contact schluter and get their specific requirements on it. I havent done one but I know alot of guys have.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
Kman

page 11

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
tjschultz2011

Ok, perfect. Thank you guys for the info and links. The ditraheat manual answers a lot of my questions such as how to go over the curb and bench in the shower. Looks like they recommend routing out a groove on top and sides of the curb for the cable to sit in. I assume this would be the same to get the cable up to the top of the bench.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
TJ,

You could heat the front of the bench as well.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
tjschultz2011

A couple more questions regarding the use of ditraHeat in the shower now that I'm getting close to being ready to install everything:

1. How do I handle where the ditraHeat and the bonding flange for the drain meet? Do I run the ditraHeat righ up to the edge of the flange and then go over it with kerdi like normal or do I run the ditraHeat underneath of the flange before setting it?

2. What type of thin set would be used for each layer in this system? I know Schluter says to use unmodified under the ST shower tray and in between the ST shower tray and the kerdi, but what if I'm using ditraHeat inbetween the kerdi and the tray? What type is used under the ditraheat, under the kerdi, and under the tiles?

3. I'm planning to use a separate cable for the ditraHeat in the shower that will just cover the square footage within the shower and another cable for the rest of the room. For the one in the shower, what's the best way to get the cable from in the wall to inside the shower? I've seen a lot of people use a conduit that runs from the box to a small opening where the wall meets the floor but this would obviously not be waterproof so how should I handle this in the shower? Start the cable on the outside of the shower and then run into the shower right away using the method above to get over the curb?

4. Because I'm using a two cable system with both cables running to the same thermostat, I wouldn't want to put a heat sensor in the shower, correct? I would think that the warm water would cause the thermostat to turn off the heat for the whole room because of the warm water in the shower.

Thanks,
TJ
Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
tjschultz2011

Anyone have experience with this?

-TJ
Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
hfxjohn

probably best to call Schluter, they can answer those questions.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The safest thing is to call their tech support line. But, if I were going to do this, I think I'd run the DitraHeat membrane up to the edge of the hole, then treat that like the top of the pan, install the drain, then install the Kerdi over it all and up to the inner edge of the drain's bonding area.

Otherwise, you'd have a step in the pan up to the drain. I suppose you could build that up, but it's probably not worth it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase