Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #166
workhurts

Can I pad by just thinsetting some 1/4" durock to the back of the niche? No screws, just thinset.

Layers would be studs, durock, thinset, Kerdi currently then adding thinset, durock, thinset and tile.

Seems adding durock to an already Kerdi'ed niche back wall that's supported wouldn't be an issue. Can't call Schluter over the weekend to confirm but can't think of anything that would cause problems especially if I get complete thinset coverage on the new durock to Kerdi layer.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #167
Kman

Since it'll be covered with Kerdi, you could use construction adhesive if you want. It would probably hold a bit better. If you have some way to hold tension against the face of it til the glue dries, that would be best.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #168
workhurts

It's already covered with Kerdi. Can I add durock using thinset (or construction adhesive) without yet another layer of Kerdi.

It's likely to be the bottom of the niche that needs adjusting so I could put weights on it to keep everything down.

I'm not sure I'm getting my thoughts out clearly on this so sorry for the repetition.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #169
wwhitney

If you want to decrease the depth of your niche how about using one or more thicknesses of Kerdiboard, and then sealing the edges to your existing Kerdi with Kerdi band?

Have you fully explored the design space to be sure there's no layout you like with the existing depth? E.g. horizontal tile in the field, vertical in the niche? An accent or vertical cove tile in the niche?

Cheers, Wayne
Old 01-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #170
Kman

Then you could still Kerdi over the CBU and just use the standard 2" overlap. Since you'd be attaching the CBU to Kerdi, use thinset instead of construction adhesive.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #171
workhurts

If I'm going to add more Kerdi, I may as well take off the original Kerdi, screw in some durock and redo the whole thing.

I was trying to avoid adding or redoing Kerdi. That's why I was thinking thinset would work since it would be already waterproofed. What would I be afraid of? Water getting into the durock? That happens all the one and it would be waterproof underneath it.

I was also trying to avoid a Kerdi sandwich.

Maybe I need to look at some more profiles and see if there's a way to give me the extra bit that I need.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #172
workhurts

What's a good trowel size for 3"X1.5" mosaic ceramic on a sheet? 1/4x1/4 square just seemed huge. 3/16 X 5/32 V didn't give me enough coverage on the back of the tile. Looks like the tile has recessed grooves at the back and the smaller V notch was basically just covering the mesh.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #173
workhurts

Ended up using a 1/4" X 3/16" V. Not much productivity today. All of 5 sq feet and about 290 to go. Ugh. Using a laser is fine head on and for large tile but it'll probably be worthless with the mosaic. Will definitely need a ledger board to keep the lines straight. Can't wait to get to the 24" X 12" tile.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #174
wwhitney

So what did you decide on the design or padding out the back of the niche?

Cheers, Wayne
Old 01-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #175
workhurts

Didn't pad the niche.

Originally it was all measured out to have gray 24"x12" tile on that back wall along with the blue in the niche because I didn't want to mess with trying to keep everything lined up and avoiding slivers (between the corners, the niche and the bench and mosaic tile I was destined for a sliver). Somewhere smong the way I thought it might be cool to do the entire back wall in the blue tile instead of just the sides.

Padding the niche would have guaranteed being able to do blue on the entire back wall. I'm now back to the back wall talking the 2' gray tile which means I don't have to worry about grout lines lining up.

So I'll work on the side walls now and if by some miracle everything lines up then I'll have a decision to make. Had to see what it looked like for real instead of the endless planning.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #176
workhurts

I hate cleaning tools. 18 sq ft today. Managed to get a ledger board on without screwing into the Kerdi. Since the niche tiles meet up with the sides, had to use that corner as a reference point.

I guess I can work downward now by taping the sheets to the sheets above.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #177
workhurts

Finally got back to the bathroom after 2-3 weeks off. Got more wall tile up and the ditra down. Guess I have to bite the bullet and do the floor next. Not sure why I'm feeling apprehensive about the floor.

Progress pic:
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #178
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can do it in any order you want but I would go ahead and finish the walls first. Once you tile the floor, you'll have to protect it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #179
workhurts

I've somehow managed to remove the black tape around the bottom of a kerdi linear grate frame. It's there's, now that I'm about to install it, to prevent the thinset from oozing out the back. I removed it for some unknown reason weeks ago.

Any suggestions on what to use to retape it? Seems like electric tape would work but wanted to be sure.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #180
workhurts

Raimondi and other tile leveling systems

Another generic question. These systems seem to do a good enough job at leveling large format tile but I noticed that if I wasn't paying attention, sometimes my gaps that I have spacers in would get out of whack.

I think it's because I was doing multiple tiles at a time or maybe I just hadn't spaced things properly to begin with.

Is there a foolproof way to use these things? Set one tile and then level the 2nd tile with the 1st locking both in and then moving onto the 3rd tile. Basically locking one tile in at a time.

Just noticed they sell 1/8" clips. I was using 1/16" with 1/8" spacer. Shouldn't really make a difference but perhaps using the clips as spacers makes much more sense. Would still run into the same issue I think.

Last edited by workhurts; 02-15-2018 at 09:10 AM.
workhurts is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase