Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #16
Mtea

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like it can't hurt to take out the grout around the perimeter of the floor tiles and replace with caulk. I ordered a couple 1/16 inch Dremel grout removal blades for the job. I could not find the Urban Putty colored Polyblend caulk anymore online or in-store so I had to order matching sanded caulk on Amazon.

Any advice on grout removal? I was considering protecting the tiles by putting down some duct tape in case I accidentally got out of the groove.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #17
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's not going to hurt anything but I have my doubts that it will fix the problem but I've been wrong before. Letting the bit climb out and skid across a tile is what you want to avoid. I don't know if you have a mud bed over your membrane or if the tiles are bonded directly to it so be careful not to go too deep. I'd say 2/3's of the tile thickness is all. Take it slow.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
Mtea

Thanks for the advice Davy. I think I will put down some duct tape for protection against a slip.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #19
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Not a bad idea.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #20
Mtea

It worked

I wanted to circle back with results. I did use the vibrating blade on my Ryobi one+ to take out the grout after I had put duct tape up on both the adjacent wall and floor tiles in case I slipped. I also used a paint scraping tool and putty knife where the tile spacing was tight. It all worked pretty well.

I carefully filled the gap back in with grout caulk and let it cure for five days. The wetness in the corners is completely gone! Thanks to all for your input and advice.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #21
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Glad we were able to help, Marty.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #22
Redlands Okie

Thanks for the post on the results.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase