Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
dlg0

Kerdi-line linear drain installed height question / sanity check

Hi all, first time poster and DIY here, so am looking for a sanity check on my thought process.

I'm doing a master bathroom renovation, back to the studs / joists.

I'll be doing a curbless shower with linear drain Attachment 214136 at an intermediate location (at the shower threshold to the rest of the bathroom as shown in the attached figure). So the pre-slope will go up from linear drain into the shower. All schluter products I expect.

There is already hardwood floor in the master bedroom, so I'm aiming to have the bathroom tile height match that when all is said and done. This of course means getting everything the right height, and determining if I need to recess the shower pan at all - which I'd be happy to do, I'm just not sure that'll give the right height yet. So, some numbers ...

Bedroom hardwood floor height above floor joists = 2 1/32"

Then my present estimate of the bathroom floor stack height looks like this ...

The Linear drain itself
23/32 plywood subfloor
1/16" thinset
15/16" kerdi-line channel body
1/16" thinset for kerdi-line flap / kerdi band
1/2" kerdi-line grate assembly to match height 3/8 tile + 1/8 thinset for tile
-----
total = 2 9/32"

Outside the shower
23/32" plywood subfloor
23/32" plywood again
1/4" dittra heat
1/8" thinset (after tile installed)
3/8 tile
-----
total = 2 6/32"

Inside the shower (at the linear drain)
23/32 plywood subfloor
drypack mud preslope 23/32"
1/4" dittra heat
1/8" thinset (after tile installed)
3/8"tile
----
total = 2 6/32"

So, my question is if I have this stack height correct or if I'm missing something significant. I'd think that the 3/32" difference between the linear drain channel body height and the plywood + dittra heat can be accommodated by tile thinset, and that the 1/4" total height difference between the bathroom floor and the bedroom hardwood would be accounted for by a small slope on the "quartz threshold" seen in the drawings. Does this sound reasonable, or have I missed something important?

Thanks,
David.
dlg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Drypack per industry standards is a minimum of 1-1/4" thick over a wooden subfloor. Now, at the drain end, some feel it's safe to get it down to say 3/4" or so.

Their foam pan is likely thinner. You still need enough thickness for the drain body. I don't remember if they allow that to be recessed into the floor. How easy that might be would depend on where the joists are and which direction they run.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, David.

I've fixed your permanent signature line, but I cannot add a geographic location to your User Profile, which is frequently helpful in answering some types of questions.

And your photo attachment is not valid. Not sure what you did there, but you can attach photos from storage on your computer using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box. Perhaps another try at that?

I can't comment on your measurements, but my first question would be how you get over 2" above the joists with your hardwood flooring outside this bathroom.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
dlg0

@CX Thanks for updating my signature. I've updated my location also. Hopefully, this image will work this time ...

Name:  master-bath.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  34.3 KB

For the height above the joists, the house is 1954 construction, and so outside the bathroom there are something like 3/4" diagonal planking, then about a 1/2" underlay, then say 3/4" tongue and groove hardwood - I'm guessing at these measurements, but they add up to a touch over 2" at the threshold to the bathroom.

@Jim Thanks for the info. I was thinking that the drypack would be about 3/4" at the drain end, which with the dittra heat on top would line up with the top of the drain channel body for the kerdi flap to lay over. At the other end of the shower (away from the drain) - which is about 3 ft, the thickness would be about 1 1/2" to get the 1/4 per foot slope. Are you suggesting that I should recess the subfloor under the preslope by 3/4" or so (but not under the linear drain) to make the preslope much thicker?

I would also consider using the kerdi-shower-LTS shower pan, but I'd need two due to the length of the shower area (85 3/4" on the drain edge x 37" from the drain to the back wall), and I'm unsure if butting two together right in the middle of the shower would be OK?

I tried to find the drain side thickness of the kerdi-shower-LTS, and found this link (nope, can't post links yet) but it only gives "perimeter" height and does not distinguish between the thick and thin side, so I'm not sure which is which there. I may ask Schluter directly.

A follow up question ... I thought that the "drain body" is the same thing as the "channel body" I have accounted for? Schluter sometimes calls it the "drain channel body".

So the height question I'm trying to answer is basically figuring out how high the stack is in the following figure ...

Name:  linear-drain-stack.png
Views: 29
Size:  222.4 KB

On top of the "drain channel body", (which in the figure inset is shown as 7/8"
although I'm certain I've seen this labeled as 15/16" in other Schluter figures hence my original estimate with that value), is the "grate assembly" which is listed as 3/4", but it sits partially within the drain body, likely about 1/4", and the grate assembly can apparently accommodate tile of thickness 1/8" to 9/16" - although I'm unsure how you'd adjust the height?

Apologies for so long a post
Unread 06-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Page 5 describes setting the height of the grate https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amaz...ta%20Sheet.pdf

If you're going to do a mud pan, wait until you have the grate then verify the measurements. Schluter's tech support is pretty good, call them.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase