Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Am I crazy?

Small 1/2 bath project

This is my 4' X 5" small 1/2 bath project. I did the demo in the hope of tiling the floor. I tore out 2 layers of linoleum and then discovered I had 3/8 of rotten plywood over 1/2" plywood sub floor nailed to the joist. When I ran the numbers I saw I needed to lower the floor 3/4 " in order for my tile to come out even with the oak floor in the hall and the toilet flange (cast iron). My calculations were 3/4" plus 1/8" thinset layer plus 1/2" Hardy board plus 1/8" thin set plus 3/8" ceramic tile for a total of 1 7/8 "

I also checked and discovered the floor joist were uneven. So I cut the joist using a level and simply started at the high end with a router cutting 3/4" and they all came out pretty darn level even when checked corner to corner.

So I am ready to lay my high grade 3/4" plywood but have been getting lot of confusing info. Let start with joist. They were 5.5 inches X 1.5 Doug fir but now 3/4 shorter and 16 " on center.

My plan is to sister the joist with 2 X 4 to give added strength. Then use 1.5 deck screws to fasten the plywood to the joist and sisters.

Then use a 1/4 trowel to apply thinset between plywood and 1/2 hardy board using appropriate screws and not screw into the joist, just the plywood.

Am I good so far????

Bob
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Bob.

You don't indicate an unsupported span for these previously 2x6 joists.

There is no requirement that your new tile installation be flush with your adjacent flooring nor that it fit your existing WC flange height. Might be nice to have that sometimes, but you can always make a transition to the adjacent flooring and you can always move the plumbing flange.

By ripping the 2x6 joists by 3/4" you have an unknown quantity there, except that you know it's very little to be calling a floor joist. But I'll wait for the rest of the information before we continue with that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Am I crazy?

Yes I know I am just being picky about the tile floor being level with the hall.

As far as the unsupported span - Lets see if this makes sense - When you open the bath door and look down the joist are resting on a crossing 4 " X 8" beam and the other end of the joist opposite the door are resting on the sill plate. So I guess that means they are unsupported for about 4.5 feet?

Bob
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Am I crazy?

Anyone else? Is that joist/span combo good enough?? I read that on a 2 X 6 the span should not be more than 8 feet so with reduced joist on a 4.5 span, I think I should be OK?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase