Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
nickelec

Shower floor

Hey tile experts what do you guys think about using this type of tile on shower floor. One of them is 3x9 glass tile and the other has a slight beveled edge to them I'm assuming the beveled edge is a no on tile shower floor

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
nickelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

First, that size tile on a typical, central drain shower will be nearly impossible to set without lippage without a very precise pan. Most pans end up slightly like a bowl...larger tile need four flat plane sections to not have excessive lippage. It might work on a linear shower with one flat plane.

Second, glass tile tend to be quite slippery, and larger ones even more so, so I'm not a big fan of that, either. The grout lines on a smaller tile mean you can conform to most pans, and those grout lines add friction.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
nickelec

What do you think about the smaller size tile in the pic it's not glass

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
nickelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

About a 4" tile on a typical pan is the limit you can set and have look good without 'folding' the planes. IF you do that, you need a grout joint along that fold, which may or may not conform to your desired look.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

And FWIW, I encourage folks to stay under 2" sq. for floor, because it follows pan contour better.
My pans are always greater than 1/4" per ft. 'cuz I like that water to be exiting floor quickly...whoosh!

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase