Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #46
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Is that wall outlet a single piece, Phil? Looks to be from here. I can't think of any way to build in any adjustability.

Your 1/2" Kerdi board, 3/8" tile, and mortar stack is likely to be a bit more than 1", depending on the trowel size you end up using to set the wall tile, I'd guess something like 1 1/16.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #47
pls

Could I have my thread renamed to Master Bath - pls
Thanks
Unread 05-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #48
ss3964spd

As requested!
Unread 05-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #49
pls

I am having troubles deciding on grout. The plan is to use the same grout color for walls, shower floor and bathroom floor. Shower floor is flat river rock. Wall and bathroom floor grout lines are 1/16 and 1/8. I used Mapei Flexcolor CQ in our hall bath last year and really like it. Flexcolor CQ cannot be used on river rock so I need something else.
1 - I cannot find much about Spectralock 1 and river rock, can it be used on a river rock shower floor?
2 - Should I be looking at using epoxy on the shower floor?
3 - If yes to epoxy does Mapei have a good epoxy so I can use Flexcolor CQ and match the color?
4 - Local tile store also sells Laticrete. Should I use Spectralock Pro Premium
Thanks for any advice
Unread 05-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #50
Jason@mapei
Jason Cantin Mapei Technical rep

The main concern with river rock is the Inconsistent grout width/depth The technical data sheet for Flexcolor states : "Do not use with pebble-stone or river-rock tile or mosaics, irregularly shaped tile or stone, or any time the grout joint width or depth equals or exceeds 1/2" (12 mm)." If you are confident that the depth and width do not exceed 1/2" the flexcolor likely will perform correctly if installed correctly.
You could of course use our Kerapoxy CQ or Ultacolor Plus FA. if you go with either of these I would recommend grout release/sealing the tile prior to application.
Unread 05-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #51
pls

River rock install

Is it recommended to flatten the mortar ridges before installing river rock? I will be using a 1/4 x 1/4 trowel. We are going to lay the sheets spaced about 3 in apart and lay individual rocks between them to hide the seams. Not looking forward to this.
Thanks
Unread 05-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #52
ss3964spd

No such recommendation that I've read anywhere here, Phil, but perhaps the manufacturer of your stone has instructions.
Unread 05-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #53
pls

We ended up flattening the ridges and it worked well I think. The owner of the tile store where I get all my Schluter products suggested doing so. We laid a number of rocks individually between the sheets to hide the seams and it worked well to lay them on a flat bed of mortar. It was a good thing our daughter was home for the weekend, it took all 3 of us to get the rocks down before mortar started drying out.
Unread 05-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #54
pls

Can anyone tell me if the application of Spectralock 1 is similar to Flexcolor CQ? I have used flexcolor before but would like to use Spectralock 1 for my current project.
Thanks
Unread 05-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #55
BIGPHIL

Phil,
They're very similar in the method of application. For Spectralock 1, I found the first wash after about 10 minutes to be the perfect amount of time to let it set up. What worked the absolute best for me when using Spectralock 1 was to use a grout sponge that has one side with microfiber on it. Using a microfiber cloth didn't work nearly as well for me but that sponge was magical. A doodlebug (grout Haze remover sponge) was also handy for a few spots that I let set longer. I'd recommend using an epoxy grout float. Spectralock 1 is a bit stiff when working into the joints. Use a couple of buckets of water and keep it clean.

Edit: Note... Spectralock 1 recommends the joint width not exceed 3/8". Not sure if you're planning on using this for your river rock, but just a heads-up.

Last edited by BIGPHIL; 05-10-2021 at 10:43 PM.
BIGPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #56
pls

Thanks, that is some very helpful information. Shower floor will be Spectralock epoxy so I wanted to use Spectralock 1 on the walls and bathroom floor so I could use the same color.
Phil
Unread 05-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #57
pls

Just finished grouting the shower floor using Spectralock Pro Premium. It went really well and looks great. It took just over a full unit. I applied it using a normal grout float and went over it with an epoxy float to get most of the grout off of the surface of the rocks. I did the first wash about 25 min after I started. I was worried I had waited too long but it worked out. When I was done with the first wash it looked pretty good. Came back an hour later and did the second wash. Started with a scrub sponge then one pass each side using a normal sponge then finished with a micro fiber cloth. I am glad that is done.
Attached Images

Unread 05-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #58
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nice job.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase