Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
flazoom

Why would grout start dark come out white?

The grouting of my shower just finished yesterday. The grout used was 'Pro Spec (I think formerly Bonsall?) Dark Chocolate' for use on a dark brown tile and Jamo 'Buff for the lighter tile floor'. The dark chocolate is the expected dark brown where the bull nose meets the wall (sides of shower) and the Buff seems to be the correct color is some places (between the glass listello tiles for instance) but in all the other grout lines the grout actually came out looking white. What would cause this?
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
bbcamp

Scratch some of the light looking grout to see if the color is true beneath the surface. You may have used too much water during cleanup.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
flazoom

The grouting was done by the installers I hired to do the shower. Is there a way to fix the color problem? The floor was very wet when he finished grouting. I will check the grout as you recommend
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
bbcamp

If it is the correct color underneath, the topmost bit of grout can be removed by scrubbing with a mild acid and a stiff brush. Have the tile guy do it.

Have you paid the guy yet? If not, don't until he corrects his mistake.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
flazoom

Thank you for the quick response. I will speak to him today, hopefully it will be easy to correct.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase