Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Randyj

Funky Balcony outdoor tile....

Seems that jobs I'm running into lately are funky or just plain weird. I've got a job to do in a couple of months (when it warms up a little)...This is an outdoor semi-circular balcony which has tile that has loosened up from exposure to the elements....and lack of care. The customer wants me to clean and re-use the existing tile because it matches other tile around the house. I'm figuring at least a day just cleaning the tile on this 6' radius balcony. The original tile was laid on wonderboard partially and nothing but mortar on the rest of it. This was simply poured over roofing membrane. The customer doesn't want anything to be nailed or screwed thru the membrane because it is right over his office area in his bedroom and does not trust the membrane's ability to seal around the nails or screws. I've never done outdoor tile that is adhered to wood much less to roofing membrane. I'm just wondering if you guys would give me a little advice on what I should put under the tile. The wonderboard / concrete board is in good shape and tiles to it are firm. The tile slopes from the center against the door to the balcony out to the edges. Virtually all the tile not on the CBU appears to have come up due to moisture/water getting under it and freezing causing it to separate from the substrate. Your advice on how to put this tile down and keep it down would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I've come up with is using hardibacker or some other substrate which I could possibly glue down with a suitable construciton adhesive. Then lay tile with mortar, grout, and put on a sealer as normal indoor application.
Randyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
Randyj

Hey guys can ya give me a little help here???
Randyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
the tiling Machine

Randyj
I would like to understand more,
Why half of the tiles where laid on the wonder board and some of it on nothing? There is a different level on the sub floor?
I take that if the house owner doesn’t want any screw the only option for you is to glue the wonder board with mastic tin set.
Any how what ever thing you do seal the sub floor before you install the tiles.
Good luck
Sandro
the tiling Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
A Poloniato

outdoor tiling on wood

Hello , have been reading the forums and dicussion threads on trying to get a wood framed balcony tiled , but from whatI have read its almost impossiable for an average to it yourselfer to do this. I would have to pay 15.00 psf to get this job perfessionally done . I still would tackel this myself but i would like some very detailed literature on the subject , can anyone suggest some book /video /dvd , whatever ! thanks

Anthony ,
PS please excuse my spelling
A Poloniato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
JRWilson
Jack of all trades, Master of... actually, a lot!

Hey A Poloniato,
I'm looking for the same info, did you ever find out any more? If so I could really use it.

Last edited by JRWilson; 01-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.
JRWilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase