Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 01-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
BigHorace

Yellowed epoxy in marble repair

A marble top table that had been in the family for years broke when it toppled over in the 1992 NorCal Earthquake. My father had it professionally fixed but the epoxy has yellowed over the years. Sanding does no good -the crack is essentially smooth. I need to color the yellowed epoxy whitish gray. Is there any type of pen or brush and paint that will work? Thanks in advance.
Unread 01-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
Gozo

Welcome Horace!

Epoxies will yellow with prolonged exposure to UV light. Being exposed to direct sunlight will cause this, but even indirect light will do it in time. The UV causes the isocyanate to react with the amines that make the structure of the epoxy. These aromatic amines then get oxidized to a quinone. Quinones are generally yellow in color.

That’s the why. The what to do about it depends on the degree of transparency of the epoxy patch. That affects how deep it has to ground out before refilling with epoxy. There are epoxy formulations that yellow less, but they trend to have less strength.

I’d try contacting a granite shop that does repairs and get their opinion on the options.

Marble has a degree of translucency that any paint product will not emulate and will like exactly that - paint on marble. Plus it will add thickness and will look like a paint lump. Maybe leave it as is. It’ll add to the history of the piece.
Unread 01-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Unless you're willing to do something like "chase" the cracks with something like a "V" router bit capable of handling marble and re-filling with new epoxy...

...I tend to agree with Jeff on all his points...including the history part. That's kinna one of the better parts, if you ask me.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Horace.

I agree with the others. In the home building and remodeling business we refer to such things as providing "character" or call them "features." It's all in the presentation.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
BigHorace

Thank you all for your answers. I did not like them, but they were what I was afraid I was going to hear. I have repaired and/or sanded marble in the past with excellent results and was hoping there might be a trick of the trade to touch this up. I may have a professional look at it, but as my wife said when stuff is on it you really don't notice it. Thanks again for your quick responses.
Unread 02-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Use a sharpie. You can heat it up and dig it out but it would need to be re polished. Enjoy the patina.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase