Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Just In Tile LLC

Coolest features in homes you’ve worked in

Some of these I’d like to incorporate into a custom home when I build.

Laundry room in the master closet - Genius... why walk across the house

Backsplash with tiled cubbies and outlets inside. - Store your kitchen stuff behind a door that looks like tile put pops open and viola, your stand mixer, food processor, whatever.

Two opposite side kitchen sinks with island stove (think two 8-10’ countertops on either side of he kitchen) - seems common in larger homes but makes perfect sense for the holidays or if you like to cook every night like my wife and I.

Bathrooms placed where the plumbing is on one wall and a closet is behind that wall with removable panels for access - dream when needing to service anything.

Exterior light switches have a small light that is on when switch is on. - so you know you left all you’re feature lights on outside.

Some of the ones off the top of my head.
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Imma bit partial but wall hung toilets are the bomb. Almost ubiquitous in other parts of the world but not so much in the US. I don't understand why.

Motion sensing lighting where it makes sense; like laundry rooms, power rooms, and in other infrequently used spaces.

Effective, externally vented cook top exhaust systems. I don't know why they aren't required in new construction.

Heated floors in cold climates.

I'd disagree with the laundry in the master unless it's a senior living environment. Wouldn't want kids or guests traipsing through the master to do their loads.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

A lady friend suggested to me nearly 40 years ago that she'd like to have her laundry facilities in the master bedroom area and I thought it was a poor idea. Fortunately, during all my years building (and sometimes designing and drafting) houses, no client ever asked for that as an option.

I much favor having what is called a mud room in this part of the country and having the laundry facilities there. Has always made the most sense to me and to most of my new home clients.

The lighted-when-on light switches are readily available in the Decora line.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

Motion lighting is smart in those rooms, and the actual venting out of the house above stoves should definitely be standard.

The laundry room I saw was a room off of the master closest separated with a door probably should of clarified that. You could have a separate door on another wall that guest would use and never enter into your room.
Unread 01-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

This project was supposed to be influenced by "the ocean."
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
smifwal

Quote:
I much favor having what is called a mud room in this part of the country and having the laundry facilities there.

I'd disagree with the laundry in the master unless it's a senior living environment. Wouldn't want kids or guests traipsing through the master to do their loads.
You are thinking to small scale fellas, It doesn't have to be the only one nor should it be. I have seen a few houses with them. one had it right in the master closet, The other you cam in through the garage in to the mud room but you had 2 doors out of the mudroom 1 went in to the master closet and the other went in to the main living area.

I think hidden rooms\passages, hidden pantry are fantastic.also a safe room or panic room are neat. My buddy was looking at 100K to excavate for a basement so he opted for a ranch style home but tornadoes are concern so he build a safe room with a bank vault style door.
Unread 01-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Also, the remote-controlled toilet
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
smifwal

Is that a app for that toilet? wifi thermostat is a must have, I couldn't tell you the last time I physically touched the thermostat in my house. And when we are out pushing my wife will text me to tell me to turn the heat up or down so she doesn't have to get out of bed.
Unread 01-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
ss3964spd

Don't even get me started on the virtues of those contraptions, Jim.
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
D & D Reno

A home addition with a legit safe room in the basement. Poured concrete ceiling for safe room, separate HVAC and lighting. Solar panels outside
for power. A bank vault style door that was brought in with a crane to access room from basement. Coolest feature was master bedroom closet had a safe style door in closet floor, swing it up and you jumped in the safe room.

Guy decommissioned nuclear sites for a living. Makes me wonder what I don’t know. Lol
Unread 01-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
Just In Tile LLC

As I’m getting older a toilet that cleans it all up sounds pretty nice..... specially with warm water

I need to get one of those thermostats Shawn!

Also like speakers throughout the house ceiling for a music system. During the time when you’re doing chores or cleaning up or what not, having some music going through the house makes it all fun and games.

Dimmable lights in most rooms is nice.

Having a pass through door for firewood storage is also nice. - specific to fire loving people.
Unread 01-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
Just In Tile LLC

Most nights in our backyard with a brew or maybe a small glass of whiskey.
Attached Images

Unread 01-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #13
ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
As I’m getting older a toilet that cleans it all up sounds pretty nice..... specially with warm water
It's changed my life.

I've not embraced the whole IoT deal, or any part of it really, yet - they've just not sorted out the security side well enough, from hacking AND data collection perspectives. And some of it I just don't see a need for given my life style.

A guy I work with has bought into it, completely. I don't think he can get out of bed without needing to grab is phone. "Alexa, flush the toilet". Really?

That's a serious bunker, Antonio. Everyone has priorities.
Unread 01-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've worked in several houses in the past that had 2 utility rooms, 1 upstairs and another down. Upstairs, a watertight box was built with a pan liner for the washer and dryer, just like a shower with a short curb in case of a water leak.

A while back a customer had a knee replacement and sure was glad he installed an elevator when he had his house built.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #15
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Motion sensing has been the norm for the past few years according to the electrical code. All junction boxes are required to have a neutral so the motion sensor is always working.

1- Practically a kitchen in the dressing area complete with espresso machine, microwave / convection, fridge, induction cooktop, and still have room for the valet.

2- Silver storage room with its own HVAC

3- Climate controlled garage

4- Driveway de-icing /snow melting

5- Hidden panels in the wainscot that swing / slide to keep dogs in restricted spaces

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase