Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Creato

Sealing/Color Enhancing Travertine

I'm installing travertine in an entry (interior side). I'm planning to sealer first (as a sealer and grout release) with an impregnator then use a color enhancer. Any recommendations of best products would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 12-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Your putting this on floors or walls, Joe? This is a polished stone, a honed stone, a tumbled stone?

Regardless the location, if you use a penetrating sealer first, you can forget getting any enhancing action from your enhancer. Or at least getting anything close to a consistent enhancement from your enhancing sealer.

If you want the stone enhanced, use the enhancer first. After that you can use a grout release if you want. And in future you can use a penetrating sealer if needed.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
Creato

CX, This will be on the floor. It's a tumbled travertine.
Ok, so enhancer first. What about a sealer/enhancer all in one?
Unread 12-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

All enhancers I'm aware of are also penetrating sealers. You have found one that is not?

Unread 12-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
Creato

CX- I’m new to this travertine thing. So, I’m trying to learn from you rather than the other way around.
Unread 12-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Joe,

All enhancers are penetrating sealers, and every one I know of is not "reversible," so you'd better be sure that's what you want beforehand. Use it on one piece of tile to see if you like the look. If you don't, then use a clear penetrating sealer.

One other thing. If you decide to enhance, do it before grouting. Do not use the enhancer on the grout.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Hi Joe -
When you are using any type of enhancers typically they will tell you to make sure that the stone is free and clear of any sealers. The best product we have for travertine would be STONETECH Enhancer Pro Sealer but we need to make sure there are no sealers present or that will affect how the stone actually enhances.

If you are wanting to seal for the intended purpose for the sealer to be used as a grout release we would recommend the following you’re your install.

1. Clean travertine really well using the STONETECH KlenzAll Cleaner. Travertine does have a tendency to be dusty.
2. Once the stone is clean and dry then use the STONETECH Grout Release.
3. Allow stone to dry for 24 hours then use the STONETECH Enhancer Pro Seaer. This will enhance and seal.
4. Once properly enhanced use the STONETECH Revitalizer Cleaner & Protector to maintain on a daily.

Here's a helpful link.
Unread 12-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Hi Sharon,

I need a little clarification. Why the grout release before the enhancer? If he sets the tile, enhances it and then grouts, shouldn't that do it?
Unread 12-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
Creato

John/Sharon, the travertine hasn’t been set yet and I do plan to fill all voids with grout. So, the plan is to set it, then use the Stonetech Enhancer Pro, then grout.

Thanks
Unread 12-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

That sounds like a plan.
Unread 12-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
Sharon @ LATICRETE

John -
Quote:
I need a little clarification. Why the grout release before the enhancer? If he sets the tile, enhances it and then grouts, shouldn't that do it?
We do not recommend to use the STONETECH Enhancer or the Enhancer Pro as a grout release. These are transformers and if you use them as a grout release and then grout there is a chance of picture framing. Anytime we recommend to use any of our transformers such as the Enhancer Pro and a grout release is needed we only recommend the Grout Release.

If we were using just a regular sealer then you could use those sealers as a grout release and then reseal no issues as they do not transform color and will not experience the picture framing.
Unread 12-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sharon, you don't have a problem with the grout release residue causing uneven color enhancement when applying the grout release before using an enhancing sealer?

I'm thinking StoneTech had told me years ago (when we were distributors) that when using an enhancer you wanted it to go on before any other sealing product and seems to me the grout release could cause similar problems with the enhancer.

I need to alter my advice on the use of those products?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Joe.

Unread 12-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
Sharon, you don't have a problem with the grout release residue causing uneven color enhancement when applying the grout release before using an enhancing sealer?
It is important that with Grout Release you do not allow a residue to form or it can be very difficult to remove. However to answer your question yes if there is any type of residue is left it will effect how the stone enhances with the Enhancer Pro.

Quote:
I'm thinking StoneTech had told me years ago (when we were distributors) that when using an enhancer you wanted it to go on before any other sealing product and seems to me the grout release could cause similar problems with the enhancer.
When using any of the Transformers which are Enhancer, Enhancer Pro, High Gloss Finishing Sealer or the Semi Gloss Finishing Sealer we do no recommend for them to be used as a grout release and we only recommend the STONETECH Grout Release. We do not recommend any other impregnating sealers to be used prior to putting the these products down. The Grout Release is formulated to break down when the stone is grouted so that when you are ready to use any of the Transformers it will absorb.
Unread 12-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

This is a public forum. We ought to take this up in the Pro Hangout, which is also public but is designed for technical discussions such as this. You want to start a thread there Kelly?
Unread 12-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

New thread for technical discussion.

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 12-20-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Fix link

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase