Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #1
DanMcD

Best and Durable Grout for Kitchen Backsplash

We are having installed Pratt & Larson 45 Watercolor tiles in our kitchen backsplash. The tiles are 3 x 6 inches and are a handmade crackle glass.

I want to make sure our installer uses a good grout that will hold up for years of use. Especially in areas around the sink and range that will get splatters and thus be cleaned frequently.

I am looking for recommendations on the right tile grout to use and also the best grout line spacing.

Dan
Unread 10-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
CountryBumkin

Send a message via ICQ to CountryBumkin
I used SpectraLock http://www.spectralock.com/ on my backsplash (and shower). It's an epoxy grout so you don't need to worry about staining. However its a sanded grout so need to check with your tile manufacturer to make sure it won't scratch the glass, and it requires a minimum grout joint of 1/8".

The instructions (that I found) say you must seal these tiles before grouting with a penetrating silicone sealer before and after grouting, and that a sanded grout is recommended. http://prattandlarson.com/wp-content...Chart-2015.pdf

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 10-22-2015 at 06:26 AM.
CountryBumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The finish on that type of tile means more nooks and crannies for crud to accumulate, making it harder to keep them perfectly clean in a greasy environment. Maybe that the type of grout you use may be the lesser of the two evils! An acrylic, ready to install grout or epoxy would stand up to that environment better than any cement based one.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I will second, third, and fourth the suggestion that you MUST seal your tiles well BEFORE you grout so that the cracks of the crackle finish don't take in the grout. I don't care at all for silicone sealers. That's kinna funny that the manufacturer recommends a silicone sealer because it's relatively antiquated compared to 99% of the other sealers available. A good sealer is going to be relatively expensive. But cheap compared to the cost of the project. Whatever you use, TEST ahead of time to make sure it's compatible.

For that same reason, epoxy may be a very poor choice. If the resin gets into the cracks of the crackle finish, it's got the potential to permanently stain the cracks something fierce and you'll be looking at a total rip-out and re-do.

Whatever grout you're considering, PERFORM A TEST with the grout on some scrap tiles that you've sealed at least a day ahead of time. I'd suggest a small mock up of some tiles on a piece of ply or drywall to make it easy to perform. Do not test on your actual backsplash.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Sample boards are important

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Some tile really only looks good in a showroom...some are just not a great choice for the real world.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase