Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Gardenmom

Cleaning and Sealing Outdoor Slate

I would like to clean and seal the slate I have on my porch. This slate has been down about 29 years. Once or twice during this time, my husband cleaned the slate with diluted muriatic acid and then we put a protective coating on it that was recommended by the tile store. However, it has probably been over 15 years that it was last treated. I am guessing the protecting product was a penetrating/impregnating sealer which is what I would want. It did change/enhance the color to a darker gray, but I don’t remember there being any real shine. Can you please advise the correct way to clean this slate and the correct impregnating/penetrating sealer to use? I have attached a picture of it. Thanks.
Attached Images

Gardenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sounds like you cleaned and sealed it correctly, you might need to do it a little more often to keep it looking good. Looks like efflorescence to me. In the dark blue bar above, click on "liberry" and look for the thread on efflorescence. There is some good reading on it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Gardenmom

Davy, thanks for directing me to the Liberry. It answered my questions.
Gardenmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase