Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Audrey

Kitchen backsplash grout and sealer advice

The grout space of our kitchen back splash varies a bit between 1/8" and 1/16". Is it okay to us sanded grout for this application? Do we have to worry about shrinkage issues with non-sanded? It is only 6 inches high but 21 feet in length.

We are looking for opinions on what color grout to go with? Perhaps a grey that is very close to the tile color?

In the past we have had issues with grout not being what the color should have looked like. Is this our error in mixing it? Are there certain brands that are more true in color?

What is the best substance to put into the space between the counter top and the start of the tiles?

Thank you in advance
Attached Images

Unread 10-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

A gray, close to that color works fine. Your choice there. Anything under 1/8" is going to requite an unsanded grout...however, a good option is Quartzlock II, available from tile stores such as Dal Tile or Fusion Pro, available from some Home Depots (although not all).

The area from the counter to the bottom row of tiles is different~you want to use a color-matching silicone caulk there as the differential from the horizontal to the vertical will invariably move somewhat and grout will crack if placed there....

If you have trouble finding a color-matched silicone, these folks can match it for you. http://colorriteinc.com/color-rite

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Last edited by Lazarus; 10-21-2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: added link
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
MDtile

Look into Customs "Prism" grout. It will solve both of your worries, as it is rated for 1/16"-1/2" joints as well as having extremely consistent color and exact match to sample chips

As Laz said, you need to caulk between the tile and the countertop.
MDtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Audrey

Thank you. I saw the Prism grout at the tile store and I see that I can get the QuartzLock at my local Home Depot.

I'll check them both out.
Cheers
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

You might also want to check into the pre-mixed Fusion Pro grout from CBP. Its our go to grout, will not scratch or shrink. Its also stain proof and never needs sealing.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
t2jeff

How did you finish the top of your backsplash? Is that a Schluter jolly profile?
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Audrey

I had to look up the jolly profile to see what it was, and yes it looks the same as that but it is not the Schluter brand. Can't seem to see a name on it, I got it at my local tile store. The colour is titanium, has a very nice modern look to it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase