Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 12-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
tstex

sealing outdoor slate on balcony

Hello and Merry CHRISTmas to all.

I have an outdoor balcony w rough slate that is not covered and faces the east. It needs to be sealed. I have cleaned it 2-3 times and rinsed. That was last week. It rained this tuesday, but I completely covered it up, then removed the plastic and it's ready to go...perfect weather to seal.

It has a few places where the grout is stained. When we had heavy past rains, the water penetrates the grout via small hairlike cracks to the subflooring and comes out the sides into the gutter from between the slate and subflooring. Nothing has ever penetrated the subflooring and leaked thru to the white ceiling below. I am using Aqua Mix Enrich"N"Seal.

Questions: Will the sealer penetrate the small cracks in grout to prevent seepage to the subfloor? If not, do you have a recommendation?

Next, what is the best thing for cleaning some of grout?

Finally, what is preferred or best method to apply the sealer/enhancer for outdoor rough slate?

Thank you very much,
tstex
Unread 12-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
tstex

If you need some pic's, pls let me know?

Thanks in advance !
Unread 12-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

And a Merry CHRISTmas to you, too, Tom!

Pictures are good.

With this being outside, any idea what is causing the staining?

The term sealer is very misleading. It should be called “temporary stain blocker while you quick clean it up”. It does not stop moisture. Especially in physical cracks. But realize that the waterproofing should have been done before a single piece of stone was installed. It’s the subsurface waterproofing that keeps the moisture from penetrating into the structure. Do you have any idea of how the waterproofing was done? We might be able to see something with a few pics.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
tstex

thank you very much Tool-Guy.

Will get some pics to you soon...I believe that w sun, humidity, rain and airborne materials, over time, it has taken its toll on this area. The grout probably just got dirt in it over time. It's my mistake for not getting to this area earlier.

Not sure what the subsurface is made of or how constructed, but nothing has ever leaked into the ceiling or structure. The ceiling is white so I would see if anything penetrated or stained it.'

Thanks again and I will be in contact very soon,
Tom

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase