Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Bonnie G

Shower Leak?

We have a shower tile under 1 yr. It has a pan (or whatever you call the leakproof liner under the tile). All seemed fine the first few months. Then we noticed that when the rest of the shower dried one corner and running on down to the drain always stayed wet and was smelling musty. The contractors that did the shower hired someone to come fix it and they regrouted some (where there were hairline cracks) and resealed. All seemed fine for about 2 months. Now it's starting to stay wet in the same area again ---a corner near the curtain where you enter the shower. Any ideas what can be causing this and how to fix it?
Also we are new to tile - what is the best way to clean tile shower and floor? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
bbcamp

I moved you to the Advice forum because the dampness issue is more important than cleaning at this point, and the more eyes, the better.

Let's talk a minute about how your shower is supposed to work, then maybe we can guess better as why yours isn't working so good. The tile, grout, caulk and sealer are there to look pretty, but they are not the waterproof elements of the shower. The liner and moisture barrier behind the tile are the waterproof elements. They act to funnel water that gets behind the tile down the walls, across the floor over the sloped liner and into weepholes built into the drain fitting. In a properly constructed and functioning shower, this water doesn't stay around long enough to get musty smelling.

So what could be wrong? It is clear that the shower is not draining properly. When they sealed and re-grouted (corners should be caulked, BTW), the new surfaces directed the water to the drain. However, sealer and grout are not waterproof, so water starts sinking in and finds itself stuck in the mud bed below the shower floor tiles. This water cannot find the drain because the liner is not sloped, or the weepholes in the drain fitting are clogged.

What to do? First, and simplist, have your contractor check the weepholes. He may have to remove some of the floor tiles around the drain, dig out the mudbed a little, and replace the gravel that is supposed to be packed around the drain fitting. If that fixes it, you're golden. If not, then the liner issue must be addressed. This involves removing the entire floor and a bit of the walls so a sloped mud bed can be installed, the liner replaced and the setting bed and tile replaced. This is not a good fix if the tile guy cannot adequately tie the moisture barrier in the walls to the liner in the floor. If he can't, a complete tear-out and do over is necessary.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
silvercitytile

Send a message via MSN to silvercitytile
Hi bonnie. This is the tileguy that went to do the regrout on the grout lines that were cracked.and we also sealed grout and caulked the corners. As u know we were not the origanal guys that constructed your shower and do not know how it was done. I've tried contacting the contractor. But only got his voicemail. And left a message.
as Bob was saying this could and should be a total redo. And i am happy to assist you in any way possible.
im sorry for your troubles. Steve knows how to get a hold of me..and im waiting for the contactor to return my message

Schluter Kerdi and Ditra installer in Southern New Mexico
Castillo Construction
silvercitytile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Bonnie G

Hi Jeff, New to this and just found your reply. Steve talked to the contractor last evening and he said he'd come out tomorrow or Mon. Hope to get the go ahead from him for you to do whatever is necessary. Imagine some will have to be torn up to see what the problem is? Hope to be in touch with you soon to get things set up. Thanks! Bonnie
Old 10-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Bonnie G

Bob, wanted to thank you for the information and putting me in the right forum! Looks like we'll be in good hands with Jeff if we can get the contractor to agree to have him fix it. Nice to understand, a bit better, what could be going on with the shower. Bonnie
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
silvercitytile

Send a message via MSN to silvercitytile
just got the go ahead from the contractor Bonnie. and you are on the schedule to do the repairs!!!!
i can assure you we will do everything I can do to make this Right.

I look foward to seen you in the near future

Schluter Kerdi and Ditra installer in Southern New Mexico
Castillo Construction
silvercitytile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase