Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
ncor
Sculptor/Contractor

epdm as underlayment

Looking at a failed epdm underlayment for tile on an exterior 2nd story deck.
Membrane has failed and rain water migrating into habitable space below. Pretty sure epdm is not suitable for this application thought I'd double check w/ the forum. Schluter my best bet on a successful install? Framed w/ slight pitch and roof edge posts at walkway to flash in.
thanks neil
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

EPDM is fine for roofing, Neil, but not if any Portland cement-based material was applied directly over it. Known problem, that.

For a tile installation over occupied space you need a primary waterproofing layer (your EPDM), then something to protect that and provide drainage, then a properly installed mud bed, then a secondary waterproofing layer suitable for your tile installation. Schluter Systems does make the products and specifies such a system, as do others.

The only single layer waterproofing method for that installation I'm aware of is using Noble Deck from the Noble Company. That requires a minimum slope of 1/4" per foot in the deck framing and a layer of CBU or deck mud over the decking, as a minimum.

We'd need to see some photos of your application to comment much further. Lot of other consideration in an installation like that and a lot of liability.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
ncor
Sculptor/Contractor

pic's

Mir-Kote and Troba If the underlying joists are within deflection parameters. Believe I will be in a sticky wicket with the deck penetrations and may consider a full pan broke and pittsburgh seamed. Any thoughts on boots for the railing posts or 4x4's that are bullet proof?
Attached Images

Unread 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've used Mercrete, its a paint on membrane with a fabric. The railing connection on the deck would get painted over with several coats. Flashing has to be done too. Not sure what you have for flashing now.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
ncor
Sculptor/Contractor

By the look of it these guys thought roofing mastic was the answer followed by drip edge. Tomorrow I'll see what the joist spans are.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase