Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
organic_donna

Finished limestone pictures (was "I know you guys hate limestone but......")

Hi,
From all the posts I have read on this forum I know all you guys hate limestone. I'm going tomorrow to pick out my tiles and possibly slab. This is for a shower, bathroom floor, walls, and vanity. It's a newer color called Azul Tulis. It's a really dark blue/gray. I took a piece home and tested it. I ran a key through it and got a metal mark, (good). I put water on it and the water soaked in but dried quickly. Then I sealed it with just one coat of sealer and retested it. The water rolled right off. (yeah).
I am the only one who will be using this shower. I usually take baths so it won't be used daily. I am willing to use PH based soaps, squeegie after each use and use stone cleaner on a regular basis.
What special install advice can you give to me, (I'll pass it on to my contractor). It's not being installed until October so I have a lot of time. Is there anything I should watch out for during install? Should I seal before install?
Any advice would be great.
Donna
organic_donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
river-wear

First, let me say I'm "just a DIYer." I put limestone in my hall bath three months ago. (Pics at the end of the "before and after photos" thread.)

We're remodeling the master bath now and have been using the hall bath for 2-3 weeks so far (3 showers per day). Hubby takes two showers a day - the second after sweating pipes in the new bathroom in 90 degree heat. He's also part duck. We squeegee after each shower, but that's about it. I applied two coats of Stonetech's Impregnator Pro before we ever used it. The water beads on the surface and it looks good so far. I know a few weeks isn't the best test but... Oh, and my sister put a limestone shower in her house a couple years ago. Didn't seal it. And it looks fine, but it's a guest bath that also doesn't get a ton of use.

FWIW, we did not seal before installing the tile and did not have problems cleaning it off. Except for a couple spots where the thinset matched a little too well and it dried on. (We used St. Hubert limestone.)

Hope that helps a little!

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
organic_donna

Smile

Thanks so much for the reply Michele, I feel better about my decision.
Donna
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I didn't know we hated limestone,but maybe we do.On lighter limestone i sometimes seal before i ever use it, due to it's soaking in every stain as you work with it,also some tends to darken after it gets wet, and never lightens again.I would treat it like any other stone,use white thinset.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
organic_donna

I did a search under limestone and read every thread that contained the word limestone. You guys hate limestone. One of the posters was asking about a problem he had and he said, " This lady wanted limestone, I know, I tried to talk the her out of limestone but she insisted". So I am really apprehensive.
Donna
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I don't think it was me, but maybe, depending on the day i had.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Hi Donna

Limestone is a very generic term and often gets used for pretty much any calciferous stone. It is a sedimentary rock and can vary widely in hardness and density, depending on the content and pressures the stone was subjected to during formation.

It sounds like you have a very hard and dense stone, which, if sealed and maintained correctly, probably would do just fine for what you had in mind. One thing you have to remember, though, is that it will still react to acids - no matter how good it is sealed. Most personal hygiene products contain acids, and if I am not mistaken, the pH of softened water also leans to the acidy side - if ever so slightly.

It would be good if the tiles are honed so that chemical damage (which will be unavoidable) will not be as obvious as it would be on a polished surface. Get a good squeegee and dry the shower after every use and most importantly, invest in a good range of stone specific, pH neutral stone cleaners to maintain and protect your investment. Make anybody that will be cleaning the shower aware of the cleaning regimen too, to prevent the heartbreak of someone inadvertently using a harsh product like Tilex or something and ruining the stone.

Oh - and take pictures. We'd love to see it

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Bayougirl

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I can't see ever getting tile or stone in a shower/bath that needed to be squeegeed after each use....that's like vacumming the car out after each trip to the store. More trouble than it's worth.

We're clean people, we take baths when we're already clean, just to make us feel better about ourselves. But we don't want to squeegee...

Susan ~
Bayougirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Well, I for one love limestone.We sell and install tons of it(and travertine and soapstone)..Don't really care if it etches. scratches or stains, that's all part of the charm. I 'm not interested in my personal house not having a sense of place and history. I like well worn surfaces of any kind..they are the patina of expiriences.

My own shower /bath project of limestone slab and tiles is in progress....(I'm a pig when I work in my own house)...But I've made no provisons to protect it during construction. Just sealed it and let every plumber , trim carpenter, electrician and tilepig(me) work on it.
Attached Images

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 12:59 AM   #10
river-wear

Wow, Trask! Is that one big honkin' shower in the pic on the left?! That's gonna be so cool! (My in-progress 10'x8' bath is jealous...)

Donna - I forgot to mention the white thinset we used; Dave covered that.

I figure that if limestone can handle acid rain and other exterior conditions (freeze/thaw, bird poop, etc.) it can handle some showers. It's only a little extra maintenance if you're up for it. It's a bit more challenging to install too, given the manufacturing variability.

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

I've only been working on it for a couple of years off and on

As long as you know that no amount of sealer or maint. will stop it from dulling and etching. Otherwise ya it'll be fine.

Unread 05-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
timiny

Wow Trask, that bathroom deserves a thread of its own. Is the wainscoting limestone also? Any more pictures!
timiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #13
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Beautiful job, Trask!

I forgot to add the caveat that you should not expect the stone to look new forever. Some folks need an attitude adjustment to live with the softer stones. It will not be possible to keep it new and pristine looking forever - and some folks tend to expect that it does.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Talking

Ya, I'll do a thread on it when it gets closer..It's all limestone slab on slab raised panel. The tile is crema marfil.

And yes mine hasn't even been used yet and It is far from looking new...but that's the point.

Unread 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #15
jvcstone
Stone Carver

Donna, if you like the look of the stone, have done your homework (sounds like you did) and know the downside which most of the posters have mentioned, go for it. I'm a stone pro, and have limestone all over my place including the entire downstairs floor, window sills, fireplace wall, and kitchen counter tops. Could have used something else, but it's limestone that has all the neat character.

Anyway, an old friend is fond of saying that installing stone is more like an adoption than a purchase. you gotta love it to want it.

JVC

-- John VanCamp
we should not accept something as true until it has been officially denied!
jvcstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase