Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
newgene

Polymer Enhanced Grout

Ok, so I can no longer find the Keracolor S sanded grout that I previously used for several tile jobs at home. I went to Lowe's and I found this stuff. I'm not sure if that is the same as the TEC Power Grout. It doesn't say that anywhere on it.

So, I don't mind using it (color or cost). I just want to know if that will work with shower tile. I have always used a regular sanded grout to avoid shrinkage cracks, but this seems to be the line that has replaced Keracolor at Lowes. Is this stuff ok for vertical tiles in a shower? I could only find posts about Power Grout, and they had some hit or miss results, but I'm ok with it. I just need to know if this is a mistake.

I am using porcelain tile and will use a space of ~1/8" but I haven't finalized the spacing yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by newgene; 05-24-2015 at 02:36 PM.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
newgene

I would say this is the general stuff that if you go into Lowes and ask for grout, they will point to this. I think it's new, so I'm wondering who has positive or negative experience with it.

If you wouldn't recommend this, is there a product from Lowes (or maybe Home Depot) that will work well. Thanks!
Unread 05-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Looks like the photo got dropped, Gene. Homedepot has FusionPro grout. Used it recently and prefer it over the two part epoxy spectraLock. I've not used keracolor so can't offer a comparison there.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
newgene

Thanks for the quick response. I hope the photo is showing up now. It's a link to tinypic, and it is showing for me.

The old Keracolor worked well for me. It's sanded, and you just add water. Simple. The new stuff I picked up from Lowes says it is for both sanded and unsanded applications, but I really don't know if I believe their marketing.
Unread 05-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Steve in Denver

I can't comment on the grout, but I do know that the moderators prefer that you upload pictures rather than linking - that way the image stays around for future visitors who might stumble upon this thread looking for the same information. (With links to external sites there is no guarantee the link will be valid into the future)
Unread 05-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
Kman

Haven't used that one, Gene. The TDS says it's rated for exterior use and with an extra heavy commercial rating, so I'm sure it would be just fine in your shower.

Here's some info about it, along with a link to the technical data sheet.

You do know you have to mix a color with it, correct?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
newgene

Yes, I have the two color jars to make what they call cashew. It should be fine. The mix of separate color makes it a little tough to sample it to see what it looks like, but the color should be fine.

My biggest concern would be with shrinkage from a unsanded grout, but I guess it should be fine.
Unread 05-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
newgene

Steve, thanks for the heads up. I agree with the mods view on this forum. Since it's mostly information sharing, the pics should stay permanent. Many other forums manage database size over useless info, so I've gotten used to just linking to sites.

I have the pic saved as an attachment now.
Unread 05-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Gene I haven't see that particular grout before but from what I read on the bag it should be fine for what you need. Apparently it's like the new Permacolor grout where you buy a bag of grout and add the color to it seperately.

You'll have to mix full batches and I'm guessing that the stuff is fast setting like it's competitors so don't get too crazy with spreading it.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2015, 04:11 AM   #10
newgene

Thanks for the advice, Jim. I'll start with smaller grout batches than usual, to see how fast this stuff sets. I also picked up some regular sanded grout from Home Depot. I'm not sure which one I'll go with. I'll probably compare the colors and go with whichever one looks best.
Unread 05-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

If your Lowes carries our Flexcolor CQ ready to use grout, you may want to give it a whirl, it will save you time and color issues. Also, if you're a customer of Marjam, they carry the Keracolor S and U in your area. A few Lowes stores have decided to change to the sanded/unsanded hybrid powdered grout where you have to make your own color but I don't personally have any experience with it.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
newgene

I just called Marjam. Thanks for the info. They said they don't stock it. So, it would be a special dedicated order. They are calling me back with a price, but I can order it from a bunch of places online for ~$30/bag shipped anyway. I would likely go that route if we are positive we want to stay with the same grout color and type.

So, I'll make a call between the grouts that I have now, and whether or not we'll go with the original stuff. Much appreciated.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase