Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Rob V

Grout with polymer VS grout with polymer modified

Hi new here on the forum. Checked out the search but didn't find an answer to the differences of grout with polymer vs grout which is polymer modified.

Also on that same grout subject the one grout I have is unsanded with polymer and for some reason I also bought a bag of sanded grout which says it is polymer-modified "sanded". Didn't buy it that long ago. Just getting old and have CRAFT disease.

Again I am just looking for the application for both and the difference of each one. I know I bought 2 different bags for a reason. For the life of me I just can't remember why.

Thanks in advance
Unread 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Ken
welchtile.com

Welcome Rob,

Can you please be more specific as to which products you're talking about? Please provide manufacture and product names specifically that you want clarification on.

Thanks!
Unread 07-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Hi Rob.

In addition to Kens questions, tell us what tile you're using and what the size of the grout joints are too.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

"grout with polymer" and "polymer modified" mean the same thing. It's like saying "vitamin fortified" or "fortified with vitamins", a distinction without a difference.

That isn't to say there won't be a difference in the grouts because different manufacturer's use different formulas to make their products. Tell us exactly what you have and we'll go from there.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Rob V

Smile

Sorry guys didn't know all that info was important. Here it is.

Grout manufacture is Mapei. The product is called Keracolor "U" Unsanded Grout with Polymer. The other bag is also Mapei Keracolor "S" Premium-grade, Polymer-Modified Sanded Grout.

Application is a shower. I have 1 foot square ceramic tile for the walls. Floor and ceiling will be 2" square ceramic tile.

I have stone looking tile strips (Sandalwood, Freeway pattern #50841, they are 5/8" strips they are mixed some 2 and some 4 inches long. They look like a stone of some sorts.) This I will be installing as a 2 3/4" wide accent 2/3 of the way up the shower.

Grout joints are 1/8 of an inch.
Unread 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Hi Rob,

The S is for sanded grout and the other in unsanded.

You'll want to use the sanded for grout joints 1/8" and bigger and the unsanded for smaller than 1/8".
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Use sanded for the whole thing. Both Mapei's Keracolor sanded & unsanded have dry polymer mixed in the bag, they just say it differently on the labels.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase