Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
cybrnook

Basement floor cleaning and prep for coating?

Hello all, and thank you in advance for any help and suggestions.

My wife and I are pressing the reset button on our basement after our Michigan home recently faced what is called leaking "Rod Holes" (holes in the poured concrete walls due to manf techniques used from original contractor). We typically don't have a wet basement, at least nothing that is obvious. So seeing some water on the floor was a red flag. We have since had the walls professionally repaired, and all 120 rod holes that showed signs of age were repaired, as well as the 4 foundation wall cracks (injected). Previous owners hid all this behind drywall framing, which I recently found out. anyways....

We are using this as a time for me to break out the spray gun and paint the ceiling black. Hopefully paint the walls white with a "Lime Wash" (seems to allow the walls to continue to breath), and if I pass the chloride test (already have the kits, just need to get some clean concrete) and have a relatively dry slab, then I want to lay a nice coating on the floor.

THE ISSUE: is the previous owners apparently seemed deathly afraid that the linoleum tiling they laid down was going to come up. So in typical fashion of everything the previous owners did, it was wrong and way wrong (in my opinion) and it seems they dumped and rolled tile adhesive on the floors prior to laying the tiles down (I swear they must have used 10 gallons for our 1800sqft basement). Maybe someone should have told him that tile adhesive and leveling cement are not the same thing. Or perhaps he was attempting to first fiberglass the cement in.... :-) sorry I am bitter as I am writing this the more I think about it....
My wife and I rented a rip-r-stripper from home depot to get the tiles up, so that's done:

Then, I rented a floor finishing tool and the diamond blade coating removal tool (not the finishing blade with all the teeth, mine has but a few). I am trying to get it as best I can without burning a hole through my slab:

However there are areas where the adhesive persists, after what I would consider a good amount of elbow grease in one spot:

So, I am thinking I will finish the floor with a good once over using the finishing tool without trying to risk damaging the floor. However I am going to be left with a half a$$ed mess that I believe will need to still come up.

MY QUESTION: What would be the best way to remove the remaining adhesive from the slab in order to prep for a coating, which I intend to use a primer first? I was thinking maybe I could just buy a couple industrial handled scrubbing brushes and some chemical adhesive remover and hit it section by section, but maybe that's too hard work and could be costly? Figured I would ask the pro's before moving much further.

Again, any help is appreciated. I also don't wish any harm to the previous owners.... but I think a couple boils out of reach would be okay in my book :bounce:

FYI, I already have Voicemails with ArmorPoxy and Legacy Industrial (Though I think the Armorclad is where I may end up). So, I am not trying to complete this job with a off the shelf kit, I want it done right!

Last edited by cybrnook; 09-04-2019 at 12:05 PM.
cybrnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Hans,

I haven't done this often, but I have to tell you this is way out of our realm of expertise. Mine, anyway.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
cybrnook

Oh geez, well, that fits everything else with our house so far, that we are on an island all by ourself :-)

How about prepping the concrete for self leveling if we go with something like an LVP/EVP? I am about at the point where it's not even prisoner work to try and get all this glue off (at least with tools I can get down a staircase into the basement), and I don't want to spend days/weeks going spot to spot with adhesive remover and a scrub brush if I don't have to. How prepped does the slab really need to be if I just end up leveling off the lows with self leveling, and putting an LVP on top?
Unread 09-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Hans.

'Fraid I don't know what an "LVP" might be, but if you were going to bond to your floor with something like a thinset mortar for tile you for absolutely sure do not want to use any sort of chemical cleaner on that concrete. That usually ends up sealing the surface of the concrete and making the situation worse.

Mechanical abrasion (scraping, shot-blasting, grinding, etc.) is the way to go for concrete clean enough to bond to.

You might wanna contact the manufacturer of the finishing product you intend to use to see what they recommend. I don't know if any of them are sufficiently thick bodied to prevent telegraphing of your old glue residue, but I suppose it's possible. The primers for such products, if any, may bond sufficiently well to what you've got that you don't need any more surface preparation. Out of my area of expertise, too.

Sure you don't want a nice ceramic tile on that floor?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase