Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #76
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Many distributors try to keep their lots fairly consistent, but natural stone will always have natural variations even in the same slab quarried the same day, but especially over years. Get pieces cut from different stones and the variations are likely to be greater. Some stone is more consistent than others in color, veining, density, along with (often minor, but maybe significant) variations of the 'mix'.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #77
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback/observations on the Durock drain, Matt, much appreciated.

Like you I did (over) stress when it came time to set that thing, partly because I hadn't yet realized how adjustable the drain assembly is, and partly because that's just what I do. lol

Only thing I didn't much care for is setting the blue plastic disk. Between how much mortar it takes to fill it, and to fill the space between the disk and the foam pan - I just wasn't prepared mentally. Had I known better I'd have pre-filled the hollow portions of the under side of the disk before setting the thing in place. Durock's instructions could be a bit more comprehensive for rookies like me.

Bummer about the cabinet coming out 1.25" too tall, glad you were able to make it work. My custom cab's are ready and will be delivered just after the 1st. I sure hope they're correct.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #78
Mdsims

Dan,
I don't remember fighting the disk (but it was a while ago). I set it with a 1/4 x 3/8 trowel when I set the foam pan and then top mudded it heavily with a 2" putty knife a few days later when I set the flange, making sure to get it filled completely (imagine packing a wheel bearing with grease). You're right, it does take a lot of mud. I found the Durock videos valuable in conjunction with the printed literature.

Shower glass will be installed tomorrow! I've got a lot of grouting ahead of me tonight, and I couldn't be more excited about that! Should be able to set the toilet tomorrow too.
Unread 12-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #79
Mdsims

It’s moving day! Which means a short break from the project grind. Shower folks came to install glass yesterday. One pane was a knee panel. They got the knee height wrong. Some other little issues from bad measurements and they decided it’s best to rebuild all the panels. Order is rushed but I suspect it will be at least a week with the Holidays upon us.

This overview photo isn’t current. Currently the shower is fully tiled and grouted. Still have some more fixture hardware to install but I’ll do that as we’re settled tonight. Bathroom is painted. Cabinets are loose laid. Floor tile is 1/2 in and that is fully grouted. Will set remaining floor tile once the vanities are screwed into their final resting places.
Attached Images

Unread 12-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #80
makethatkerdistick

Matt, you can't make this stuff up. Not surprising that the weakest link in your entire DIY project are the measuring errors of your cabinet makers and glass installers. It's annoying to have to wait for the new glass. So sorry about that.
Unread 12-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #81
Mdsims

Progress has been slow with holidays.

*Toto toilet is great. First one for me and we love it.
*Glass re-fabrication is ongoing. They are remaking every panel. should have them back next week I believe.
*Shower fixtures are installed and the shower works great. This CA-compliant 1.75gpm shower head is annoying. We spend more time rinsing off with the low flow rate than before. I may have to look into a higher flow back-up post inspection.
*I ordered the wrong main valve trim, the correct kit is on order and is still 1-2 weeks out. Because the valve is placed away from the head, we can still shower with no water issues.
*Ran into a cabinet issue. Linen cabinet was made 2" deeper than I'd wanted. I missed it in the shop drawings (they built the shell to my specified max overall dimension, so when doors and pulls were added it grew by 2ish inches and impacted my doorway). I re-framed the bathroom door opening down from 30 to a 28" door and will likely trim 1" off the back of the cabinet. I patched the drywall and hallway plaster, and will paint those areas today or tomorrow. Those two fixes should make for a better overall fit, though I am bummed about the smaller door. I also ordered a replacement door in 28".
*floor is 1/2 tiled, will finish that once cabinets are set and final.
*this weekend I need to knock out a dog door install in the bathroom exterior wall. I'll likely regret this but the wife and dog want it, and I know it to be needed. Of course, this must be accompanied by a small deck outside to get the animal up to interior FF height. yay!
*new window will happen once I can source some high quality cedar or redwood to reframe and patch some damaged original trim. Trying to keep things standard across the house, which is 77 years old this month.
Unread 12-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #82
makethatkerdistick

Matt, you're a nice fellow. If it were me, the dog would have to ... (well, let's not cross that bridge). Certainly, there wouldn't be a dog door in such a beautiful bathroom for me. But again, that's just me.

1.75 gpm and you don't like it? I've been using the Niagara Conservation Tri-max shower head on 1 gpm and have been pretty happy. It goes down to 0.5 gpm but that's more like a military shower. Saves water for sure! Usually, droughts are a big problem here in Texas as well but we've been lucky recently to have had enough rain.
Unread 01-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #83
Mdsims

Cabinets are set, they fit and look great. Here's a progress photo before I pulled all the doors and drawers back out. Floor tile is has been laid, and I will grout it in a couple days. I left the doors off the upper linen cabinet as there's some electrical in there I need to finish up (dimmers so I can tune the room lighting levels and retain a standard wall switch, and a manual override for the exhaust fan), but they really complete the look when they are on.

Anyone have any good recommendations on exhaust fan override switches? My fan is the Broan XB110H ultra green. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-UL...110H/301745820

The fan has an integral humidity sensor. I'd like to add a manual switch, which the wiring diagram shows is ok. At work we used to call these hand-off-autos but what I'd really like is something that gets me a forced manual on, and a few timer settings (say, 5min, 10min, 30min, etc.), while letting the fan still function based on it's onboard sensor.

Any recommendations from you all on fan switches?
Attached Images

Unread 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #84
ss3964spd

Looking good Matt.

As for the manual override fan switch, I don't know how that's gonna work, unless the fan itself has the brains to sense it. The auto on of the humidity sensor means that the fan always has 120V to it so the sensor is always, well, sensing. If the fan has the smarts to see a quick 120V toggle that could work. I had some motion and ambient light sensing outdoor lights that worked that way; normally the switch remained on, but if I toggled the light switch the lights would turn on and stay on - regardless of motion or ambient light. Another toggling would revert them to auto.

I think your fan would need the brains to do it, not the switch.
Unread 01-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #85
makethatkerdistick

Here's the timer switch I've been using for my two Panasonic fans:
https://www.amazon.com/EATON-9590AW-...n+timer+switch

I like the shorter intervals and the on-all-the-time option. You can also reprogram to longer intervals.

I've abstained from moisture-sensing fans for the following reason: Unless the sensor is super precise you'll end up with very long run times. Depending on your situation, this might/might not be desirable. Humidity sensors usually have a fairly large deadband (something like at least 5%) which, for instance, turns on your fan at 60% and then off once 50% are reached. I don't know what level triggers your sensor.
Depending on the ambient air/humidity level in the home, your fan might never reach that lower set point, say, on a rainy day.

I am operating a ventilating whole-house dehumidifier in my home. The controller has great deadband adjustment and also brings in fresh outside air on a schedule. I have the Ultra Aire 70H which perfectly services my 2200 sqf home, especially during shoulder seasons when the AC isn't running enough to remove moisture or when the furnace isn't operating to increase temps to bring down relative humidity in turn. Having this setup in place, my house's humidity level is rather stable around 50%. I much prefer having this in place and then hitting one of the timed setpoints on my bathroom fan switch.

Now, you might be perfectly happy with your humidity sensor. I've never tried one as part of a bathroom fan.
Unread 01-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #86
Mdsims

The fan seems pretty smart, but the wiring diagrams leave some information out. Here's what I'm working with. I wired up to both hots to cover my bases. Fan is still plugged to keep dust out until I'm done with the really messy work.

Seems like I can supply the fan with a constant hot on the sensor circuit (blk/brn), then a timer on the manual (red/orange). The fan has the sensor and adjustment onboard and is marketed as stand-alone. There are adjustment settings under the grille to dial in the humidity turn-on point and additional run time after it's cleared to below the set-point.

Will call the mfg to confirm my assumptions and post results. Anyway, I think I'll need something like this for the on-timer and let the fan do it's own thing for sensing. If it runs wild, I can switch it to manual only function at that time. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1.
Attached Images

Unread 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #87
cx
Da Home Builder

Have installed a number of these Intermatic timer switches for bathroom exhaust fans, Matt. No complaints nor requests for change to date.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #88
Mdsims

Thanks CX.

Wolfgang, what does the power button on that switch do?
-Sounds like your whole-house approach is pretty thorough. Here in coastal CA, our we don't have AC and I disconnected the single antique gas-fired floor and wall heater when we bought the place (had an internal gas leak I couldn't isolate). Our climate is pretty mild so we're going to use radiant electric heaters this winter and see if we feel the need to install a central system come spring/summer.
Unread 01-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #89
ss3964spd

Without knowing for certain I'd bet that power button is for continuous ON operation. I kinda like that particular switch.

The Panasonic fan I have also has the sensor option (as well as night light, and variable speed in conjunction with a timer for air exchange purposes. Don't want or need the last two features, and feel like the humidity sensor won't start the fan (which oddly takes about 20 seconds to spool up when turned on) soon enough and will shut the fan down before all the humidity is truly gone.
Unread 01-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #90
Mdsims

The Leviton switch I linked to above is what I went with. 5, 10, 20, 30 minute interval timer. I'm trusting the fan humidity sensor will work to combat moisture, this is just for manual on 'courtesy flush' type use. It also has a push button for manual on operation and an off button to end any timer scene early. If the load is left on via the manual function it will automatically shut off after 24 hours. There's also a toggle (push two specific buttons at the same time) to alter the entire timing range as low as 2 minutes or as high as 12 hours. I doubt I'll ever change it.

Pulling counter top quotes now. We like the Caesarstone quartz in 4004 raw concrete. We don't like having to buy a whole slab for our 75" vanity... I have some feelers out to remnant shops to see what they have kicking around.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase